Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stingray's "Boingy" sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eberrong, Jan 17, 2005.

1. eberrong

eberrong

Dec 21, 2004
    I have a Stingray 4 that I play into an Ampeg SVT3PRO and Ampeg SVT410HLF cab. I have been doing some recording of this rig in my home studio for the first time recently. I am trying to get a "modern rock" type of tone that I hear on CD's by Switchfoot, Yellowcard, etc. I have been micing the cab with a Shure SM57 and AKG D112 (thru API mic preamps).

I am having a tough time matching the tone of commercial CD's. I know a lot of these bands use Stingrays, but the Stingray seems to have a boingy (springy) sound on the higher strings that cannot really be dialed out. I am starting to wonder if these bands use P-Basses for recording and Stingrays for live performance. I have heard some people prefer basses with passive electronics for recording.

Anyone have any insight for me?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Try boosting the upper mids a bit.

3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    A Stingray always sounds like a Stingray no matter how you EQ it and you're not going to get that kind of sound out of a P-Bass or any other bass, for that matter. But if the high-end "boink" is a bit too much, dial out the highs on the bass and dial in some extra mids in the 800Hz region on the amp (that's approximately where the no.2 setting is on the midrange switch of an SVT-3). This will sound much punchier and still have a decent amount of cut.

Russ :bassist:

4. -of course you're going to have a hard time matching the sound. they probably use vintage tube amps and expensive mics into high-end sound boards, and that's before mixing and mastering.

-the bass track sounds different solo than it does with all the other instruments.

5. The guy in switchfoot uses a Sterling, when I play though an ampeg with a Sterling, I get his sound perfectly.

6. api 512? 3124?

7. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    When I'm in the studio, I run my Stingray through a direct box to the board. I don't bother with an amp. The engineer is in the drivers seat and can get whatever sound we want when he's mixing it down.

8. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    When I use one of my 2 band stingrays for recording I put some chromes on my fretless.
    I tried something on my fretted one that worked well. I put some old, very dead strings on it and it recorded great.
    Watch the boost on the highs and the lows. I do a test track to find as flat a sound as I can get. When you add the eq to the recorded track in mixing it will have the stingray sound.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/turningpoint2 Tracks 6 and 8 are stingray bass. It might not be anything like what you are looking for but just a suggestion.

9. eberrong

eberrong

Dec 21, 2004
    Thanks for all the responses...keep them coming!

What kind of ampeg amp are you playing through? Any suggestions on settings? What type of strings are you using?

API 3124+

I've tried this and I just don't think direct tracks alone cut it for this type of music (other types of music I have gone direct with no issue). Direct tracks seem to be missing the "tube" sound.

10. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Have you tried a tube preamp. I have an Art OLP tube preamp that I haven't use for recording yet, but it does have a setting on it to use with a bass. If I wanted a tube sound, I would probably record direct from my BBE BMaxT or let the engineer run my signal through a tube processor.

11. I have an SVT-4 pro and 610 HLF. On my amp I have the bass around 7, mid around 5, and treble around 4. On the bass I have all the bass, mid, and treble up all the way. Then the pickup switch set on Parallel mode. There is some sort of EB strings on it.