Stock Strunal endpin diameter

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by appler, May 16, 2005.

1. appler

appler Guest

Does anyone know offhand what the diameter of the stock endpin on a new Strunal plywood is? I don't have the means to measure mine at the moment, and I don't trust my eyesight with very small measurements. I'm trying to find this information because I need to order a wheel as soon as I can. My bass is the 50/4F, if it matters, and I got it at David Gage's shop in NYC.

Thanks very much for your time.
  2. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You could measure the circumference and divide by pi... that should yield diameter.
  3. appler

appler Guest

I could, but like I said, my eyesight's not what it should be (weird retina problems) so I'd really appreciate any other help. Thanks, though, man.

4. droo

Nov 1, 2004
    Oxfordshire, UK
    or you could weigh it, divide by the density of the metal, divide by the length, divide by pi, take the square root and then multiply by 2 :D
  5. Can you post a picture of your end pin? Some of us (especially our luthiers) can recognize an end-pin and thus it's size, just by looking at it.
    Hang in though, there should be some other owners of this model of Strunal out there.

And, by the way,'re a sick puppy! :D
  6. appler

appler Guest

I don't have a digital camera, so I can't take a picture of it, but I just emailed David Gage's shop. Maybe they can tell me... it seems like they have the answers to everything there.

(edit: by the way, is anybody allowed to play the name changing game or do you have to be a member of the elite play-on-words crew? :D )
  7. Looks like you're part of the e.p.o.w.c.
  8. appler

appler Guest

It's an honor, sir!
  9. Hey Appler,

I think Gage changes the end pin on the Strunals he sells, but mine was 10 mm. I'd suggest you take the pin out and bring with you to buy a wheel, or just call Gage and ask them what size it is.
  10. appler

appler Guest

Thanks, Mike. I kinda figured it wasn't the endpin the bass originally came with, but I wasn't sure. I'll call the shop; they haven't responded to my email yet.