1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stomp Box in a Bass - Inconvenient?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Hi,

After seeing many a g****rs with stomp boxes in them (a la Matt Bellamy (spelling?) (omg parentheses inside parentheses) wouldn't it be inconvenient (see i can spell!!SpankyPants!!!) to press it mid song. You'd have to move your hands around, rendering you from playing. There's probably threads on this already, but I seared "stomp box in a bass" and nothing. :meh:

a-to-z!! :atoz:

2. I could see it being useful for something like a delay, or maybe a filter. As far as the Fuzz Factory is concerned, I don't know how you could use one WITHOUT manipulating the knobs while playing. That's where all the fun stuff happens.

3. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    I think it would be pretty cool actually.

I've seen Danelectro basses with Chorus built in.

Next custom bass I get it will have a ribbon controller on it plus a midi out.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The one time I ever saw an effect attached to a guitar that was worth it was when Mark Mothersbaugh played the guitar solo of Devo's "Too Much Paranoias" with an EH Frequency Analyzer taped to his guitar. He made it do some cool whooshing synthy sound at the end of the solo by working the knobs. Nowadays he could probably hook it up to an expression pedal and do the same thing, though.

Kind of a silly idea to put effects right in the bass or guitar, but some people seem to dig it.

5. I was thinking about putting a orange squeezer in this really cheap fretless I just got. Oh and by cheap I mean free:hyper: I just don't really want to do any routing to make a circuit board fit.

6. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I was going to put a muff into a bass, but decided against it...

7. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    try it and tell us how it goes! ; )

8. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    You forgot to close all your parentheses.

Technically, it isn't a stomp box if you're not able to stomp it. How are you going to get your foot up to your bass?

9. Cort did a signature bass for TM Stevens that has an envelope follower built in. Some of the earliest Smith basses offered several different on board effects, Anthony Jackson had one. In the 70's Electra had a line of guitar and basses "MPC" that you could plug in effects modules. Ovation did several instruments with 3 or 6 band graphic EQs built in. Then again if you think of it any bass with an active EQ has an on board effect.
    Personally I never found it all that appealing.

10. lightbulbjim

lightbulbjim

Mar 17, 2008
    Australia
    I built a bass with a fuzz and phaser in it. It's ok if that's the only effects you want to use and if that's the only instrument you use.

11. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Matt Bellamy uses both a Fuzz Factory and a Kaos Pad built into his various guitars - both of which are/can be pretty hands-on effects. The Kaos Pad in particular is controlled by sweeping your fingers over the touch screen. I imagine controlling them with his feet would just not be how Matt wants to express himself

12. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    ;)

13. bbe

bbe

Nov 6, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    your wife or girlfriend must really deprive you if you want to put a muff in your bass.

14. If i were to ever build an effect into a bass it would be a EHX Q-tron+ or micro bass synth and work the knobs to make wierd spacey sweeps and jet sounds or something. then again a flanger would probably be more appropriate...

15. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    The only real practical way to do it would be if the effect was the type that could be always on. Moving one of your hands mid-song to turn it on would be a pain in the ass. Built in compression would be nice. That said, one day I will make the ultimate funk bass with an envelope filter built in.

16. basslinejam

basslinejam

Mar 21, 2005
    New York City
    How about ripping the circuit out of a BDDI or VT Bass and mounting it, with all the controls, in the bass - xlr and all? I thought that might be cool.

17. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    ok lol im glad this came up. dude watch this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTRK_hpsVc
    it is the guitar player who uses the effect on his guitar but it gave me the idea to do it on bass. He is using a boss flanger i think.

Also, note how he uses that little kids toy to talk into his guitar. How cool is that lol. Im looking for a toy like that so i can do the same.

18. Rumblee

Rumblee

Jan 18, 2005
  19. Is that JMJ without the hair?

20. Been thinking about trying one of these for some time now..

[​IMG]

they can also be had with stacked and concentric knobs and they are not expensive as far as effect go...between $50.00 to $100.00

they currently have

Wah, Tremolo, Distortion/Overdrive, Delay, Compressor/Limiter, and Chorus