strange buzzing

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by buddahbass, Mar 21, 2005.

1. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    ok, this just started happenig. when i plug my bass in there is a sort of buzzing sound, when i put my hand on the strings it stops. when i take it off it starts again. is this a bad ground in my bass/amp. how do i fix it :help:
  2. It's not necessarily a "bad ground", but your pickups may be particularly sensitive to RFI (radio frequency interference) emitted by other electronic equipment (light dimmers, flourescent lights, TV's, the power transformer in your bass amp, etc.). You don't mention the brand/model of your bass, but bear in mind that typical electromagnetic pickups do a great job of picking up radio frequency trash. You can use copper foil or metallic paint on all the inner surfaces surrounding the pickups and electronics-- the body cavities, back of the pickguard, etc., and then connect this shielding material to the ground (ring) terminal of the output jack, to help shunt the RFI to ground. This may or may not help, depending on the specifics of your rig. Good luck.
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I have this problem with my bass/amp. It's because of my computer, when it's on, theres the buzz, when it's off, there isn't.