1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strange harmonics on A string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zinkff, May 4, 2006.

1. Zinkff

Zinkff

Nov 4, 2005
    Seattle area
    I was recording some tracks last night when the drummer commented that the A string seemed to have a different sound than the E string. After playing the different strings, it seems the A has a ringing harmonic that the others don't have. Any ideas on how to dial this out? I believe the bass is intonated correctly, but could that be related to the problem? And yeah, I know it isn't wise to listen to a drummers opinion, but he was actually on to something this time!

2. Zinkff

Zinkff

Nov 4, 2005
    Seattle area
    It seems to only be the open A only. I will try the string wrap. In fact, it is probably time to put on a whole new set!

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    A pup that's set too hugh can cause what you are describing.

4. GregHolmes

GregHolmes

Mar 3, 2006
    Niagara, Ontario
    Dealer of: BassLab, Eminence, Acoustic Image, MIDIjet
    The A string on Fender-style head often has this problem because there is not enough downwards pressure as the string passes over the nut. The G and D strings have the string T holding them down, and the E tuner is closer to the nut. Make sure that the A has enough wraps around the tuner post to keep the string down.

5. Zinkff

Zinkff

Nov 4, 2005
    Seattle area
    I have 2 string T's so the A is held down pretty well. I'm going to check string wrap and pup height. Maybe a new string will do the trick. Thanks all for the help. You've got me going in the right direction.