Strange Sounding Strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DougP, May 17, 2004.

1. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    After having used standard Carvin strings on my LB-76 for three years, i decided to venture out. I replaced them with a set of DR's of a slightly lighter gauge. after having spent about two weeks, micro-tuning the intonation, the action and the neck relief, i have gotten the strings to be playable much like the Carvin strings were. i use a pretty low action, since i am mostly a finger-player. with that said, i DO get some string buzz when i dig in to the strings, but all in all they dont buzz. the problem is: now when i play higher up the fretboard, between the 15th and 24th frets, there seem to be multiple tones coming from the strings when i play a note. In other words, i'll play a note and it sounds like the note is being sounded with two or more dissonant notes. The higher up the fretboard i go the worse it gets; even on the 24th fret. Because it does this on the 24th fret also, i pretty much ruled out fret buzz. i have even played the note and reached up with my picking hand to the 12th fret to stop the string from vibrating between the nut and the fretted note. but i still get the strange overtones.

Any thoughts?
  2. If it's happening on all strings above a certain fret, especially higher on the fingerboard it sounds like your pickups might be a little too close to the strings. The other thing that is possible is a bad set of strings, but with the fact that it only happens after a certain fret and on all strings that seems unlikely. Best advice I could give is to lower your pickups, and that failing buy a new set of strings and replace those DR's to see if that was the problem. If it was contact DR and they might replace them for you.
  3. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    is it possible that some basses just dont like some sets or brands of strings? i know that sounds funny but i have had nothing but a headache trying to get these to the proper intonation.

thanks for the suggestion. i have about 1/2" of space between the strings and the pickups, that doesnt sound too terribly close to me, but i'll lower them just to see.
  4. bingo.

my bass does that.
  5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    do the pickups react to the nickel strings differently than stainless?
  6. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    try lowering one or both of your pickups. my jazz bass did the same thing from 15th fret on up. i lowered the neck pickup, each screw about 1/2 a turn and leveled the pickup afterwards - no problems since!
  7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've had the same problem ever sense I put DR Longnecks on. I'll have to try the pick up adjustment too.
  8. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I changed out to some Dean Markleys. no more problems.
    after doing a couple of hours of reading here at TB, it seems that the taper-wounds are prone to causing the effect that i encountered. Especially DRs because the taper on those started almost directly above my bridge pickup. The Dean Markleys taper starts right before the string enters the saddle. i still get a little bit of this phenomenon on my 5th and 6th string right at about the 20-24 frets. i dont play much there so i am not sweating it.
    i dont have a grasp on the scientific reason for this except that the tapers wounds arent a solid mass the entire length of the string.