1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strap button extension to 10 or 11th Fret.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Outbush, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    G'day All,

I play a Ibanez SoundGear 5 string (an SR755 NTF) and am wondering if it is possible to extend the strap button out to the 10th or 11th fret to reduce the reach to the first fret. Has anyone tried this? Would I just over-load the screw in the horn and break either it or the timber of the horn?

Anyone tried it?

Ta!

2. Some people have used a longer screw and a metal tube, but I wouldn't recommend it. Moving the other strap button higher up on the bass may be a better solution (my Ibanez GWB1 has to strapbuttons on the bottom of the bass, if you prefer to change the balance).

Outbush likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

a longer screw and a tube (metal or otherwise) gets the job done.

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Lownote38 and 96tbird like this.
  6. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  7. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    I like the look of that Dingwall solution too. The screw will need to be shortened a bit - did you use any glue in there to lock it all up or just trust to a slightly shorter screw? (Thanks for the responses too, everyone).

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    No glue, just a screw. Its not a problem at all - there's not much stress on that screw. It's going into the side grain which is much stronger than going into end grain which is what happens at regular strap pin locations.

sissy kathy and Outbush like this.
  9. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    How did you determine where to put the strap lock? Is it just the width of a fret-or two frets- as the distance it is set back from the tail pin?

10. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    ^^Einny, meanie, minie. moe; where does the strap lock go?^^

DavesnothereCA and Outbush like this.
  11. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It's all in the thread I linked to above: How do you combat Neck Dive?

Outbush likes this.
  12. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    I followed that link and had a read and it fell right out of my head (probably not too long after). Me and the Wichita Linesman, we both need a short vacation!

Ta muchly for the info all, straplocks ordered - now the serious end of the process begins and not a Luthier for a hundred miles or more!

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021