1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strap Locks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jar546, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jar546

jar546

Dec 14, 2006
    I know there aren't a lot of choices but which ones seem to work best? I used the plastic twist ones but they break off.

Opinions please.....

2. clarifixer

clarifixer

Jan 22, 2008
    Powell, Ohio
    I've had good luck with Schallers. The only problem is the screws supplied are sometimes smaller than the bass's original. Best to enlarge the hole in the Schaller button to fit the old screw rather than cobble a repair with a toothpick on the (possibly) smaller supplied screw, although that will work after a fashion. Just not too craftsmanly.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've got Dunlop's on 2 of my basses. They work very well, no complaints. The screws the Dunlop's are smaller than what was on the original button on my bass as well, but it's simple enough to jam a toothpick and a little glue in the hole.

4. BassLand

BassLand

Mar 20, 2000
    Lost Angeles
    I find it much better to drill out the old screw hole and fit it with a glued dowel (super glue works fine) of the appropriate diameter. This assures that the toothpick wont shift/move/loosen and cause your precious bass to go crashing to terra firma. I have used Dunlops almost exclusively.

5. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I have been using the same sets of Dunlops for about 10 years. They hold up well and I have never had one break on me.

On my Roscoe basses, I have had to drill the hole a little deeper to accept the longer Dunlop screw, never had to put use a tooth pick.

6. krazyduck

krazyduck

Jan 27, 2008
    I use dunlops, and I'm happy with them.

7. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Ditto on the Dunlops.

8. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Yep Dunlops all the way.
    Dirk

9. I used to use Dunlops, and Schallers, but then I had to sell my gear.

I now use the locking Planet-Waves straps, and I'm happy and secure (as are my basses). I like that I don't have to mess around with the bass-hardware.

I'm a purist, or just lazy.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I use schallers. A bit harder to find, but well worth it. I just buy extra buttons & screws from Stew Mac so i don't have to buy the entire set again. I have 2 straps for 9 basses. The buttons are something like $3-4 from Stew Mac/All Parts compared to buying a complete set for $15-20.

To address the screw issue-i've done a few things. I used epoxy to fill in the hole & then while the epoxy was still setting-i put the screws in. Not ever coming out. When i had access to my grinder-i'd just grind down the head of the screw that came from the bass to fit into the hole of the schaller button. Worked great.

11. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I've had Dunlops and they got all messed up. It mighta been how I installed them or they could have been messed up at the start, but with that in mind...

SCHALLERS FTW!!!!!:bassist:

12. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I've used Schaller and Dunlops. I have Dunlops on both my Roscoes. They seem relly solid and more secure than the Schallers

13. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Dunlop flush mounts, harder to find, but on all my basses. The flush jobbies(properly fitted) take the weight into the wood,off of the screws. Also eliminates the ball-on-a-pin Schaller strap side lock, (which can be painful on a T-Bird with the peg on the back of the heel) I haven't seen a toothpick or woodfiller since I started using them.And never had the strap side pins fail. I figure the leather will fail before the hardware.Good stuff.

14. I have Schallers, Schaller clones, Dunlops, Dunlop clones and Marvels.

I like the Dunlops best. They are supplied with the biggest/longest screw.

Any straplock is only as secure as its fixing into the wood.

More than once I've bored out the original hole and plugged it with some 1/4" dowel before drilling and remounting the lock.

15. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I had Schallers on a Fender that was in my arsenal for 15 years (but that I sold in 2000) and I've had Dunlops on my Modulus for close to 20 years

...and to tell the truth, I hate(d) them both. I'm much happier without any sort of locking strap gizmo.

Just give me a well-made strap with thick leather ends and a standard strap button and I'm happy. I've never had a good strap fail on me (operative word there is "good", I've certainly had a few crappy ones fall apart mid-gig), and the only person who seems to appreciate the straplocks is my roadie...who I haven't used in over a decade.

16. jar546

jar546

Dec 14, 2006
    Well it looks like Dunlop is the overall favorite. Thanks folks

17. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    You can't do a gunslinger with Dunlops.

You can with homemade screw-eye + carabiner.
    xar6148.

18. Dunlop flushmounts ftw! :bassist:

19. jar546

jar546

Dec 14, 2006
    I like the screw eye with the carabiner idea but was wondering if it will scratch the hell out of the bass?

I don't baby my stuff but don't want to do something that will really mar it up.

Let me know & thanks for the idea.

Jeff

20. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Dunlops