Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Straplok question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jorge, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Jorge

Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    I bought a set of straploks to go with my standard jazz bass but i did not know that you needed to drill a hole to fit the screw that comes with the kit. The set of straploks are dunlop dual design and i want to know if i could just use the stock screws with the straplok system. I do not want to risk messing up the drilling so if anyone used the stock screws on a straplok system any input would be great.

2. I've never come across a strap button screw that'd fit in the straploc. The heads are too big. Drilling the hole deeper is a pretty simple operation. If you don't feel comfortable, see a qualified luthier or use another method.

3. Jorge

Jorge

Jul 6, 2005
    what other methods can i use?

4. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    well on my fretless i just screwed it in there with a lilttle bit of bar soap on the treads, or you could cut the screws down to your hole in your bass, but still use a little bar soap to lubercate the threads to make it easier to screw in.

5. Different woods have different hardness. Soap is a good! On my swamp ash basses, I've had to drill as to not round off the screw.

6. Schaller strap locks (never used 'em. Can't comment on the compatiblity of the screws.)

Both Dunlop and Planet Waves make a traingular plastic piece that locks on standard strap buttons. Never used these either so I can't comment on their effectiveness.

7. jsbach1982

jsbach1982

Feb 11, 2005
    Denton, TX
    With Duncan straplocs...yes, you CAN use the stock screws. That's what I did on my bass, and it's worked out just fine.

Schaller straplocs are a whole 'nother issue...you can't really use the stock screws OR the screws that come with the straplocs!

-Jono

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Long story made short. I relocated the Dunlops on a five banger and had to use a conventional #6 X 1 1/2" to adequately secure the bugger. Needless to say, the screw head was too big to fit the recess so I ground the screw head edge with my Dremel. Worked like a charm and preserved the Phillips head slots.

Riis

9. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Just soap the threads and screw it in. Did it on my Ibanez 6'er, and it's tighter than tight. Never gonna come out.