1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Streamliner/SVT-7/SVT-3 PRO Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rock-N-Dawg, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Rock-N-Dawg

Rock-N-Dawg Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Corona CA
    Im picking up a newer Ampeg 810 cab, and need some head recomendations. I play in a real rocky rockabilly group. I don't slap much, never compete with the guitarist for the higher notes and don't use distorion. I like nice thumpy lows that rattle the heck out of everything!
    I'm mainly thinking about a Streamliner 900 or Ampeg SVT Pro 3 or 7 at this point. I like that the Ampeg stuff would match but have read some reliablility things about the new Ampegs...Plus half the reviews say the Ampegs are louder than crap and other say that don't have any volume at all for the wattage???????? (We are pretty loud at times!)
    Actually will i be able to get real good lows out of the newer Ampeg 810 cab? Thanks for the help! :hyper:
    PS Also considering the Carvin B2000!

2. Between those three, the Streamliner 900 or SVT Pro 7. The Streamliner is MASSIVE in the lows, in a controllable way IMO. Nice thump, excellent clarity.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a fan of the 7 Pro bigtime. Can't compare it to the Streamliners because I've never played them (lots of respect for Genz Benz, though), but the 7 Pro is now my favorite SS/hybrid amp out of all the amps that I've played.

Absolutely you'll be able to get real good lows out of the newer 810e's. Still my favorite cab of all time after 33 years of playing pro.

4. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Personally, if you're set on that cab I'd go with the 7-Pro if only for the better control over the mids. I like the Streamliner, but I find that the 7-Pro will do a lot of the same sounds, with a little less "tube" than the SL, but will yield tones that the SL doesn't do. Also, it seems that most of the reliability issues were tied to the "Rev A" versions - the current version is Rev C and the previous problems seem to be pretty much fixed, although my Rev A Continues to function perfectly :)

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Another vote for the Streamliner

6. Rock-N-Dawg

Rock-N-Dawg Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Corona CA
    How loud is the fan on the Ampeg Pro-7? Semi stupid question, but i used to have a Ampeg BR-4 and it drove me nuts (ended selling it for that reason!)...after all you have to play in the bedroom sometimes! :meh:

7. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    You'll never hear it once you start playing...

:bag:

I've always loved Ampeg, have had three SVT-3 Pros, they are the best-sounding of all the hybrid Ampegs to me. However, the Streamliner won me over. It doesn't sound like an Ampeg, but it does have more tube in the sound than any of the other choices. Plus, it only weighs 6.5# and is dead simple to use.

8. The Streamliner fan is SUPER slick, VERY VERY quiet.

9. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    No experience with the 7-Pro or the GB, but I have a pair of 3-Pros that I've gigged on 2x15 cabs for the last ten years. More than enough low end thump, and plenty of tonal flexibility with the rotary and graphic EQ. The "Tube Gain" (plate voltage) is a nice feature too. The 3-Pro has been around since the early 90's, so it's a proven design if reliability is a key concern.