1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string and neck lube

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by azureblue, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Played outside this week end, with the temp dropping, the neck and strings got very tacky, and made it hard to play. The strings took a lot of "pull" to get them to play, and my left hand was dragging on the back of the neck. Two hours of fighting the bass.....

So can anyone recommend a lube for this? I used finger eze way back, but thought it was a bit too slippery..

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

KY and/or nose grease.... they KY part was a joke... do not do that.

3. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Billiards powder for the hands & Fast Fret or 91% Iso alcohol for the strings.

4. Maud

Maud

Jan 2, 2012
    Down South (UK)
    I use Fast Fret, or if mid song I need a bit of 'lube' I run my finger tips down the sides of my nose, mmmmm nice :D.

5. Fast Fret sounds better than Fried Chicken Grease...

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Ive been using Almond Oil... You can get it in Wholefoods in the essential oils section.. usually used for massage therapy..> Sometimes called Sweet Almond Oil but make sure there are no additives...

You can also use one of money products available, Planet Waves XLR8, Fast Fret, etcetcetcetc...

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The back of the neck just needs wiped down occasionally. The strings...I use BassBrites on rounds because they clean the strings and keep them sounding newer as well as lubes them up. But on flats, for the first few times I use them, I just wipe any greasy substance I can find on them so they go dead as well as lube up. After that I don't do anything to them.

8. I'm gonna try fried chicken grease - adds to the funk..

9. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    When I use Pyramid flats on my L-1000 and there is humidity, the strings and eventually the forearm rest get very tacky. I use fast fret but it is only a temporary relief and must be reapplied between sets.

10. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    ha.

lube.

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I take a rag soaked in denatured alcohol to every gig and keep it in a ziplock bag. I run it along my strings (and occasionally down the back of my bass' neck) at every stopping point. I'm not a fan of the sweaty strings. I'd rather just have everything dry and clean - fingertips included.

I've also found that scuffing up glossy necks with AAAAA steel wool or refinishing necks with a satin poly or tung oil finish does wonders to keep them from getting sticky. YMMV, though.

12. My BB5000 has a painted neck and it gets tacky with the slightest bit of humidity. Talc and alcohol both sound like good solutions, Popeye's fried chicken, aside.