Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Cheese Incident

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Hello, I was just watching tv, and I saw this band called the String cheese incident. Has anyone heard of them? I am not to familiar with them, but they are really good. The bass player even gets a few bass solos! well, if anyone has heard of this band, tell me what you think, maybe even a good song of theirs. Thanks!
    Charlie

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i am a huge SCI fan myself. the bassist's name is keith mosely. they are a jam band from colorado. i know that keith has a least 4 different modulus' that he plays regularly. He's got a fantastic tone. He doesn't do anything thats amazing technically, but his basslines are solid and add a lot to the music. If you're interested in getting into SCI, listen to live stuff. the Carnival '99 2 cd set can be found in most music stores. it's a live compilation from their spring '99 tour. excellent recording.

edit: as far as good songs goes, the bass on Freedom Jazz Dance is awesome. Also check out Mouna Bowa.

3. My friends AIM screename was TheLampIncident for quite some time.

I personally think it is just another trying to be clever and funny ska band name.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    A great band to see live.....they come to play!!!
    I also agree about the Carnival 99 album, a great place to start! Musically they are all over the map....but it works:bassist: I like their live albums better than the studio ones, because I think they show you more of what they are capable of.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Living in Colorado, I've seen 'em a bunch of times. Mosely is a solid jam bassist, no doubt, but I personally don't think he really stands out or above anyone else in the genre.

SCI really made strides, following-wise, during Phish's hiatus, however, there was some sort of bizarre "anti-SCI" movement taking place at the same time which saw a division within the jam-head community. You can scour jam-oriented message boards and you'll find Spreadheads and Phishheads who absolutely detest them.

Personally, I've cooled on them a bit, especially their latest CD is, frankly, not good.

Still, I would recommend checking them out as they are excellent live.