1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String choices for Danelectro LONGSCALE

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FunkyWilly, Apr 6, 2009.

1. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I recently picked up a Danelectro Hodad (longscale). The previous owner put a set of Rotosounds on it (I think they are Swing 66's, but I'm not sure). I'm not crazy about the strings, so I am looking at options. My other basses are:
    • Fender Precision '51 reissue with Chrome flatwounds
    • Danelectro Dano '63 longscale with the stock Dano strings
    I enjoy playing both of these and they give me a lot of variety. I do tend to like the flats on the Fender a lot! I'm open to trying something new with the Hodad, but one concern I have is that I have heard that the tuning peg holes are small and don't accomodate all strings. This bass has the Danelectro all-metal (chrome) tuners and the fully adjustable bridge. I don't want to drill these or replace them, so what will fit?

I searched for this in the forums, but didn't find anything specific that addressed this.

I would consider rounds, flats, even something like la bella black nylon flatwounds. But I'd like to hear other experiences of strings on long-scale Danelectros.

Thanks,
    Willy

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I own a Danelectro 34" scale DC bass. I've used Thomastic flats on it for over 6 years and love the sound and feel. But, I don't like round wound strings myself. You might want the zing of the rounds. I prefer the richness and punch I get from the Thomastics. I've had the same set on it and they still sound great. That bass got a lot of use too. I used to bring it along to all my gigs and use it for one set a night to give my shoulder a break from the weight of my Precision. The guitar player and drummer both loved the sound. Records beautifully too.

I had to drill out the E string tuner slightly oversize to get the Thomastic E to fit the hole. No big problem and very easy to do. It only takes a slightly bigger hole to do it. You can still use a smaller gauge string. No apparent damage. All the other strings fit fine. I've tried the Hodad and if I owned one I'd be very happy using Thomastics on it too.

The nice thing about Thomastic flats, besides the sound is the balance in volume and tone between strings and the lower tension. I had to back off the truss rod nut about 1/4 turn to deal with the lower tension. I get low action with no problem and no buzzes or rattles or clacking. The DC bass has a very nicely done fret job straight from the factory. I think the Hodad should be just as good.

Anyhow, that's one very biased opinion.

I absolutely would not use the LaBella tapewounds on that bass. i think the tension would be way too much for that neck over the long haul.

3. FunkyWilly

FunkyWilly

May 10, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks. Good feedback so far.

4. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I had a Hodad and had DR Black Beauties on it and got a really unusual sound. Very funky, like Larry Blackmon the vocalist from Cameo-Owwww! Very cool sound.

5. BlackEdition

BlackEdition

Mar 30, 2009
    can the dano 63 accommodate normal 45-105 roundwound strings?