String Crisis - Need Help Urgently

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 16, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right now I've never had a problem with strings before always known what I've wanted, but in my current band I have a real problem, and I need some help from people that know about these things.

I'm currently playing
    Rick 4003
    MIM Fender Modded Jazz
    Valenti Custom Jazz
    and will be getting another Valenti Custom this time a P.

All of these are strung with Stainless steel rounds (been on ages and don't sound very bright but thats the way i like it) and the MIM jazz has TI jazz Flats on.

Now most of my basses are about to go in for a pro setup and such as I've got some touring coming up and even a stadium show or two. But the band has recently started tuning down a step and I'm having problems with my tone and such with the strings I'm using so since most of my basses need new strings I'm gonna have all my basses setup like this so they are all ace to play and all in this tuning. But I have no idea what strings to use.

Having tried

Rotosounds, Sadowsky and Ernie Ball strings in the 45-105 guage they just don't work for what I'm playing I need heavier so I'm leaning towards 50-110's but there are limited maufactures that makes those.

Now if I describe my sound hopefully you people can help me out.

I like a ballsy rock tone, I always run od to give me that svt type grit, I only really play fingerstyle in my band, I don't dig in loads but I don't have a light touch so my action is a medium to low sorta action, any one whos played any valenti will know, what nino does is my fav string height.

I need my basses to sound and feel like they do when tuned eadg just when they are dgcf. I like a nice tight defined bottom, that sounds huge with out being boomy, I don't like zing in string hence the old rounds, I do like the feel of flats but ti's are to loose for me but they do have enought high end so I don't know if something like Roto Steve Harris Flats are the way to go, I need a heavy big sound with out losing definition or having lots of zing, sorta Tony Levin sound can't really describe it just sound right for bass in any situation.

So I'm considering heavy roto's (swing bass and the steve harris sets), Heavy elites and maybe heavy ghs, not bothered about flats or rounds as long as they have that tight low end like I said and aren't all Thud or Zing.

Sorry for the long post but I really need help.

2. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I would recommend GHS pressurewounds for you but since you maybe gonna tune down i don't think there heavier set 44-106 would work for that. My favourite rounds are the new D'addario ProSteels and GHS boomers. IIRC the ProSteels are available in a 50/55-110 set and the Boomers are available in a 50-115 set.
  3. Blue Steels sound the way you described - to me atleast. You'll need them to settle in though if you'r not keen on highs, but the strings are ballsy and fat yet articulate. The highs are pretty happening at first, but sounds really together with the whole soundspectrum, giving a raw edge. Comes in .050-.110 too.
  4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    Ernie Ball does makes a 55-110 sets, but they take a bit more searching (usually have to be ordered) purple package, has them for 14.99
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you can keep stainless steel flats alive, I think they deliver the sound you're talking about in spades. They'll go dead just like any other flat and leave you with a thud eventually, but when they're new they've got lots of zing without ultra-zing. So yeah, a Steve harris set would probably work for you.
  6. bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    D'DARRIO nickle roundwound strings. The XL series in heavy guage.
    I have played metal and country with these and yeah there is a little brightness from the begining but it goes away after a week and it growls and does everything good. Maybe you have tried these and they sucked? I have recorded with them and never had any problems getting a good sound. They are durable and wont let you down with tuning problems. I have tuned them and played on stage from e to c tuning and sounded good all around. It will easily handle a mear d tune.