1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String height on D and A

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Chansey, May 5, 2015.

1. Chansey

Chansey

Nov 25, 2007
    I have been doing a little search on string heights in the forum and note that most folks give only the measurements at the E and G strings from the end of the fingerboard. I'm pretty curious on why there is relatively less talk on the height of the D and A strings. When measurements of the D and A are stated, I'm seeing some variation and not always a consistent pattern (eg: a consistent 1mm reduction from string to string). There are even guys with the same string height across multiple strings. Any idea why this is so? Is this something to do with the fingerboard arch? Thanks for any insights!

2. It's generally a consistent 1mm reduction string to string, but that's not really the prime consideration and depends to some extent on how the fingerboard is surfaced.

The prime consideration is the curve shaped into the crown of the bridge. Without a well-arched orchestra curve in the bridge crown you are gonna struggle with the bow. Being able to make sound with the stick is more important than the left hand having to work a little harder to stop notes.

If you play pizz-only it's more of a feel thing in my opinion. F'rinstance when shaping a bridge for a Kay bass with the original beveled fingerboard I will shape a "hump" into the bridge so the A string gets good clearance and isn't slamming into the fingerboard while still having the E string at an appropriate height. But that's just me.