1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

STRING LABELS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by planetguy, Oct 21, 2010.

1. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    hello all. i'm a newbie to this site and this is my first post here.

well, this will no doubt sound pretty wonky to some , buuuuut...

i've been wallpapering my music room with string labels...the colorful "cover letter" that you find within the clear plastic pouch that is wrapped around the individual string envelopes.

whew, i hope that makes some sense!

anyway...though i've been saving these labels for a very long time, i'm gonna come up way short.....so i'm making a desperate plea for assistance!

if you'd be so kind as to save and send me your un-needed labels i'd be greatly, greatly appreciative.

i have no need for the plastic envelope, or the individual paper envelopes...just the actual colorful string label that advertises the brand and particular set.

and it doesn't necessarily have to be bass string labels...gtr, mando, bass, banjo, uke, dulcimer, etc....ALL GOOD!

i'm reluctant to put up my address here so if you're actually able and willing to help me out....perhaps you can PM me.

thanks so much in advance.....btw, i'd be happy to reimburse shipping costs.

2. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I think the best bet you can take is go to a local luthier and ask him if you can have the string labels that he used.. :)

3. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    thanks for the reply Infidelity.

my local luthier guy is saving some for me.....and i've been lucky enough to have a few generous folks send me some as well.

so far i've got one wall done and now... only three more to go!

luckily i'm a multi-instrumentalist kinda guy so i've been able to accumulate quite a few mando, gtr, banjo, dobro, and bass labels over time.

the bass labels are best because well....they're BASS :smug:....but also 'cos they cover some bigger real estate!

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I wish you luck, sir. Please be aware that few companies use that packaging anymore though. Most everybody has moved to a box, or the tin foil pouch. Cuts out all the plastic.

5. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    yeah, i'm aware of that. i can't use the foil but the cardboard box type containers that GIBSON, (most) D'Addario, the newer FENDER, etc work ok as i just cut out the top part and it works fine.

thanks for the reply.

6. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    mucho gracias jake!

7. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    :bag:

please excuse the shameless thread bump....still need more labels.

thanks folks!

8. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    time to shake the dust off this thread.

so far w one or two exceptions the cards, letters, and string labels ain't been comin' in.

anyone? a little help please. (-:

9. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    I might have 2 or 3 somewhere that I can dig out, but I was thinking that you could perhaps make your labels go further by making colour copies of them.

Anyway PM me your address I'll see what I can put together for you.

Oh yes, and some pictures of your wall(s) would be nice, and get you more interest and response. People love seeing and being part of a work in progress.

10. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    thanks brit. soon as i figure out how to post photos that i have stored on my computer to this site i'll get 'em up.

in the meantime....ya can see some photos of the room's progress on the mandolin cafe site where i have a similar post requesting string labels.

string labels wall pics...FINALLY

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    That is pretty cool!

I remember years ago I did my ceiling in my college dorm room with failed CD-R's...

But that is much cooler! Is the room any brighter sounding? I would imagine the labels are more reflective than regular painted walls...

12. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    cool, but your cat needs to go on a diet, unless of course she is going to be momma cat :)

13. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    "...But that is much cooler! Is the room any brighter sounding? I would imagine the labels are more reflective than regular painted walls..."

room is half done at this point and i'd have to say i notice no difference in the acoustics. now w cds...i'd bet THAT made things brighter and more...reflective!

tjh...i'll have you know that Percy IS on a diet. the SEE FOOD diet.

14. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    hello all...hope 2012 is treating everyone ok so far...and i STILL need more labels.

if ya can help out....it's much appreciated! thanks.

15. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    i'd like to give a HUUUUUUUGE shoutout and thanks to Maureen at MDP BassWorksfor that great batch of labels! thanks you sooooo much!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

16. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    bump city.....

hullo? a little help? anyone?

17. Very, very cool idea- hope you never have to move! :eek:

Wish I could help. Best of luck!

18. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    You'll have better luck with guitar players. We have to change strings more often. Try TDPRI the Telecaster site. Once the twang is gone the strings must go. You'll have guys over there changing strings every week or two.

19. planetguy

planetguy

Oct 21, 2010
    yeah...true that on gtrsts making string changes more often. i have put the word out and have had some generous donations from our 6 and 12 string brethren.

of course the other side of the equation is how much more real estate bass labels actually cover!

20. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Try hitting up the "tech" at your local guitar center. They do a lot of string changes and setups, so they would have a ton of packages. Since everyone likes different strings, you'll get a good variety.