1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string muters for sting ray

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mvw356, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. mvw356


    Mar 2, 2006
    does anyone know where i can get the string mutes for a sting ray?
  2. reitedasc


    Jun 23, 2005
    I'm also interested.
  3. HeavyDuty

    HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

    Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    First off, do you both have the correct bridge with the mutes? If you do and just need the pads, go to the hardware store - many people use dense foam weatherstripping to replace old pads.

    If you don't have a bridge with mutes, search for BassMute - it's easier than fitting an old bridge. The old mute bridge requires major drilling to install.
  4. mvw356


    Mar 2, 2006
    i have the bridge ready to accept the mutes, but i never got them.
    the holes that are used to adjust them are filled with an allen key bolt. this was done apparently before the new style bridge (96 or 97?) was installed. my bass is from 95 i think. donno if that helps.

    thanks for your help
  5. dlloyd

    dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

    Apr 21, 2004
    You almost have the correct bridge...

    The mutes were removed from MM bridges in the mid nineties. The leaf springs were a little sharp and EB removed the whole assembly to avoid litigation.

    You could buy it seperately from EB...


    EB are long out of stock. But they frequently appear on ebay, so keep an eye out. (nothing there at the moment).