String recommendations for a fretless acoustic

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by walkTheBass, Sep 2, 2009.

1. walkTheBass

walkTheBass

Nov 29, 2008
    Scotland
    Help! I have a fretless acoustic bass and I want it to sound as close to a double bass as I can get it.

What strings do you recommend for this?

The bass I have came with Elixirs, which sound alright and a bit like an upright. I replaced them with Thomastik Acoustic strings and was very disappointed as they sound more like a classical guitar than an upright bass. I did like their lower tension, but not the tone.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Tapewounds, Labella, Rotosound, Fender maybe.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

MMMmmmm...... Tapewounds..........

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I have a set of Roto tapes gatering dust, really wanna try them on my ABG, but I like the flats I have on it now.

5. I have found GHS Precision flats to be the most realistic sounding upright sounding, at least on my Carvin AC40F. I experimented and tried for many years with different tapewounds, phosper bronze, and other brands of flats, but settled on the GHS strings, at least for my bass. I also found the lighter set, (.40-.95) to be the closest gauge for the sound I was looking for.

FG

6. walkTheBass

walkTheBass

Nov 29, 2008
    Scotland
    Thanks for the quick replies Darkstrike and fretlessguy. I think I will try the GHS strings recommended by fretlessguy and if they don't work out, I will try some tapewounds. I have some labellas fitted on a jazz bass, but the tension is a bit too high, so I am wary of bridge damage to the acoustic. Again, thanks guys. Once I've fitted them, I'll let you know how they sound.

7. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Another +1

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I'll give another two thumbs up for the tapewounds.
    SS roundwound with a sleek, nylon tape wrapping. Can't beat it.
    LaBella's are something like $19.00 from the Carvin site. S&H is kinda steep, so I order 2 sets at a time, and one set can go a real long time.
    The tension hasn't bothered either of my ABG's in the 3-5 years they've been on.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021