1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String recommendations please? '75 P

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 1stOfficerRiker, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Sorry for the long post but I want to be descriptive and get good answers back.

This is a new to me 75 precision, and I need new strings. From the feel, I can tell they're D'addarios.

So on my other basses (mostly jazz) I've tried many different string over the years and have settled on Fat Beams as my favorite sound and feel. Until I bought them for my usa MM sterling (if you're not familiar with it, it's pretty much a small body stingray with a thinner neck 1.5" nut. Same electronics as the ray). These were way too bright and clanky, so I went with a set of elixir SS nanowebs, and I like those on the MM.

I would march straight to the local store and grab some more Fat Beams, but wanted to see what others recommend first. The only one I can say I've consistantly never been fond of is D'addario XL rounds mainly bc of the feel and sound.

I play mostly 90's rock and do a small amount of drop d tuning. I'm open to trying a flatwound, semi flat or whatever. And bc it's a 43 y/o bass, I dont mind something easy on the frets, but still want a solid rock tone.

f91cf2d107d7b29b5bac93addebf9c32.0.

2. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    GHS Pressurewound might be worth a try for you.

3. J-Mags

J-Mags Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I'm trying some Pressurewounds and Cobalt flats tomorrow (I hope). Will report back.

4. G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    I have them on a Fender Elite P and a Ric 4003 and I rate them highly for both. Definitely worth a try for anyone, I reckon and particularly given desired outcomes in OP's last paragraph.

5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    For classic rock with roundwounds on a Fender Precision, my choice is GHS Balanced Nickels. For DR fans, Pure Blues is the ticket you want to punch. For a more powerfully rude & brutal stringset, GHS Bass Boomers are the choice of tens of thousands of bass players over the past 45+ years or so.

Dean N and EatS1stBassist like this.
  6. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Nice bass! I was a Fat Beam stalwart on my jazz until I switched to flatwounds, and when I got my first P I tried DR sunbeams on it for a few months and really liked the combination. I eventually switched to flats on everything though (TIs mostly - they're great for a warmer, fatter round-ish kind of sound, good for rock IMO)

7. My last GHS purchase was 10 years ago or better but didn't go back to them after my 3rd set bc they went dead pretty quick, but great while they were fresh. Is this still the case with them or have they changed?

8. G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    It hasn't been my experience but, then again I'm not particularly an authority on GHS. Dave Pomeroy touts their consistency in the video (all-be it in a paid presentation, but it's still his reputation on the line).

9. One's "dead" is another's "well-broken-in"... It's all in the perspective.
    Most of the GHS offerings, based on my experience, appeal more to those who dig the sound of "broken-in" strings over the zing and clank of a fresh set out of the pack.

I personally like my strings to be like a comfortable pair of jeans - nicely worn in but not worn out. And GHS delivers in that respect.

10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Hear! Hear!

G-Z and michael_t like this.
  11. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    They've changed! And for the better I might add. I just changed out my Balanced Nickels after a year on my #1 everyday Fender Precision. This review contains a years worth of updates. Review: GHS Balanced Nickels 4M-NB

michael_t likes this.
  12. Seconded. After a long spell with Rotosounds, I decided I didn't like the super-bright zing of rounds or the way they chewed up my fingertips. Pressurewounds are my go-to for bright strings now. All of the grit and bite of rounds without the high-end clankiness. I have them on my early 80s Tokai Hard Puncher, and they work great.

If you want to explore flats, D'Addario Chromes have a lot of high-end for 90s rock. I've also been experimenting with D'Addario tapewounds. They are brighter than I thought they'd be, have low tension (great for old necks) and feel smooth as glass. However, they can be a bit noisy since you're isolated from the ground loop. Then again, in a split coil bass it's not too noticeable.

G-Z likes this.
  13. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    You already like DR strings, go with DDTs, I use them.
    Rock on.

14. did you buy it from mike's music? that place is a small slice of paradise there in cincy

15. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Nice color!

16. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    what song is that, the first one on the fretted bass

17. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    If you like Fat Beams, Pure Blues are worth looking at.

18. KevinOn10

KevinOn10

Nov 26, 2018
    Levittwon, PA
    I work for Sam Ash Music
    Get you some GHS Boomers. I've been playing on them for the last 7-8 years and haven't felt the need to explore.

Bolsyo likes this.
  19. Fender 9050L's Flatwounds.. I have them on my '74 and '75 plus many others.. ;):thumbsup:

20. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    DR Sunbeams. They're like a warmer Fat Beam.