1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String suggestion for Musicman Sterling HS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pringlw, Mar 23, 2009.

1. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Very aggressive sounding bass in general. I've played D'Addario Pro Steel (45 - 105) and so far have been pretty happy. Thinking about giving Rotosound Swingbass strings a go.

I'm looking for good growl when finger played and a nice tight thick but also aggressive pop & slap sound (without being too harsh at the high end).

Any other suggestions/opinions on the Rotos?

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    DR Lo-Riders. You won't be sorry.

Rotos do sound great, but they tear my fingers to shreds. Ever since I discovered Lo-Riders, I won't use anything else for rounds. Love the sound, love the feel. I think they will sound awesome on your Sterling. Just give them some time to settle, because they will be very bright when you first put them on. After a week or two, they settle in and they will still have that "settled in" tone for a long time, which is exactly the sound you are describing (aggressive fingerstyle & slap tones but not overly bright).

3. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I'd also highly recommend DR Lo-Riders for this sound - they really are wonderful strings. Also great for pop & slap due to their increased tension

No experience with the Rotosounds, sorry

4. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I'll give them a try. Thx.

5. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    Lo-riders should work great for the tone you want. I just recently put on some rotosound jazz (flatwound) strings and they are doing for me what you seem to want too. The high strings will sound a lot more bassy then any round though so they might not be for you but it's a good choice if the lo-riders are too bright for you. Hope this helps.

6. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i have a set of rotosounds sitting around waiting to be put on my bass.. of course i cant get over my DR's.. i'm a highbeams fan

7. eedo

eedo

Aug 13, 2008
    Minsk, Belarus
    I've played a sterling w/single H with DR lo-riders, both nickel and ss. SS sound great recorded.
    Otherwise Elixirs

8. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    The best strings I found when I had my HS were the Super Slinkys that came on it.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use TI Superalloys on my Sterling HS and love the tone. They add a little more "meat" to the tone than the EB slinkys.