1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String suggestions for NSD CR5M

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by buddyro57, May 14, 2006.

1. buddyro57

buddyro57 me and PJ (living with the angels now)

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Hi, I am getting a NSD CR5M - I wondered what strings you all have tried and which ones proved to be good (or bad) for you. I will use this bass for jazz and I don't use the bow very much in a jazz setting.

I favor flats (tapewraps sometimes) on Fretless, and Eudoxas on my Double bass- I am looking for a string that will let me get as far away from a fretless sound as possible- with reasonably low tension-
    I am especially curious about La Bella Deep Talkin' (black tapewrap)
    Your input is appreciated. All best wishes- Jon

2. I'm waitng for my CR4 to arrive as well. :) The first strings going on will be Corelli 370TXs. I've played the LaBellas on my UB before. They are a great string to play, soft under the fingers and a bit thicker than the average steel. They have a sound which is quite lively and clear, at least on my laminate UB. They have been talked about in the same sentence as gut, but that's not what these strings are about at all. They could be good for the NS. I've thought about trying them later. The ones I had before are gone now tho. The 370s are a different animal also. It might depend how much mag v piezo in your blend. With the CR4 that's not an option of course. Good luck.

gomez

3. buddyro57

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Thanks for that info Gomez. I have been looking on line at the LaBellas and I don't see any 5-string sets, so that is probably going to be an issue as well-
    when we get our NSD's:hyper: let's check in and exchange notes.
    All best- Jon

4. You bet Jon...right now I'm in the process of finding the right amp for my UB & the NS. Since the UB is set up 'old school' it'll have to handle both. Jeff Scott suggested the Baby Blue II. I let you know how things pan out.

gomez

5. daHammer

daHammer

Oct 25, 2005
    New York, NY
    Gomez mentioned that he is getting the Corelli 370 TXs for his NSD CR5M and you may want to consider these as well, even over the LaBellas. I'm using Corelli 370Fs on mine and I like the sound and feel very much. The 370 TXs will give you a bit more tension that the Fs, which you may prefer since you play both UB and EUB.

daHammer

6. basmansam

basmansam

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    I have a US5 that are strung w/ Spirocore weichs, it sounds excellent arco and pizz.

7. buddyro57

Apr 14, 2006
    Cedar Falls Iowa
    Many thanks for all the helpful replies! The bass was set up with Eurosonics which felt and sounded surprisingly good. The seller had the bass set up as EADGC with a mismatched high string- the Euros had a slightly flabby response on the E string- too much thud, not quite enough pitch. Still- a viable option I think.
    The search continues.
    All best- Jon

8. The next string I'll have to try are Spiros, probably weichs. I've never had them on the UB, but I have to hear them at least once other than on someone else's bass. I'm diggin' that Spiro sustain for the NS.

gomez

9. I just put the Corellis on and so far so good. :) The TXs are not nearly as heavy as most other 'stark' strings. I'm not sure I'd want a lower tension string on the CR4...certainly not on the UB.

gomez