1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String tension question...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kipp Harrington, Dec 2, 2019 at 9:39 AM.

1. Can anyone give me an idea of how GHS P Flats 3025 (45-95) compare to Fender 9050Ls? I was thinking of trying out the Fenders and read that they have a pretty low tension. Just didn’t want to possibly deal with a “floppiness” factor. Thanks!

2. Based on my own experience, I can tell you the 9050L are slightly stiffer-feeling than the P Flats 45-95, though not drastically so. If you like the overall feel of the GHS, you should be okay with the Fender.

iiipopes and LoTone like this.
  3. Thanks Micheal! You seem to be pretty knowledgeable regarding strings. I was hoping you would chime in! Yeah, I have GHS P Flats on my MIM J and they sound good and feel awesome. I wanted to try a flat that would yield a little more “brightness” and bite. I’m currently in a cover band that does a lot of rock, hard rock and modern “pop” tunes. I was hoping maybe the Fenders would be a little more “pronounced” in the mix. Thanks again.

4. The 9050s are not quite as "old school" as the GHS. They start out rather bright for a flat, but will eventually settle with a nice, full-bodied low-mid punch with a hint of grind. Make sure to play them in real good for a month or two.

The very first time I tried the 9050L on my J in church, our senior sound tech complimented me on my bass tone by describing it as being "full, punchy and articulate".

iiipopes and Guzzi Toad like this.
  5. Okie dokie. Thanks for the input. I guess the word "articulate" is the word I was looking for. Thanks again!

6. There was a period of about three months a few years ago, when my J wore the 9050L and my P wore the La Bella 760FL.

The sound guys at my church always liked my J with 9050s as they were easier to work with than the P with La Bella flats. I liked the J/9050 combo better myself as I could hear myself better on stage.

7. That makes sense. And that’s exactly what I’m looking for. I am also going to get an Ampeg SCR-DI. I am hoping the preamp section of that device will “liven up” my tone. I love the “Ampeg” tone!

8. Tech 21 VT Bass DI has been my main tone-shaping tool for the last 4-5 years. It does a great job emulating the Ampeg SVT tone. The Fender flats should work nicely with the SCR-DI.

9. Well... I haven't really researched the Tech 21 VT DI. And I haven't purchased the Ampeg SCR-DI yet. I will look into the Tech 21 VT :thumbsup: Thanks for the tip!

fhm555 likes this.
  10. When I first started playing regularly in church six and a half years ago, the church provided the SansAmp BDDI (v.1), so that's what I initially learned to play through. Then a short while later I decided to invest in my own DI and chose the VT Bass because of the MID know and a wider range of tonal capabilities. The Ampeg SCR-DI wasn't even in the market back then.

From what I've read here and there, the SCR-DI is a fine product if you're into the classic Ampeg tone. And the nice thing is it is equipped with both an aux input and a headphone jack, making it an all-in-one portable practice rig.

11. I have also read reviews from many satisfied owners of the SCR-DI. The thing I'm not a huge fan of is the Scrambler circuit. I have an Ampeg BA 210v2, so I'm familiar with the Scrambler.

I just read about 30 reviews on the Tech 21 VT DI and all were satisfied and beyond! The only thing I see missing from this unit is something that will mimic the "Ulta Lo" and "Ultra Hi" options on the SCR-DI.

I am at a crossroads now! LOL. I guess I will research the Tech 21 VT DI a bit more and make a decision. I really don't think I can go wrong either way.

Again, I really appreciate the information.

12. While you're looking at the VT Bass DI, check out the SansAmp BDDI v.2 as well. BDDI version 2 has a MID control knob (something the precious version didn't have) with 500/1000 Hz switchable frequencies as well as 80/40 Hz switchable BASS frequencies. The VT Bass DI is fixed at 1000 Hz for MID and 80 Hz for BASS.

13. Great thing to consider... although the VT DI does have separate low, mid and high pots. I'll do a little more research on this. A couple of things for me to really consider :thumbsup:

14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    My experiences with 9050's are consistent with the above: not old school, have low mid grind, set better in the mix, more a "modern" sound with good sustain. Good sound, consistency, longevity, price. The E string does tend to die first. When it does, an Ernie Ball regular stainless flat in the same gauge (100 for the 9050L) will have a little bit of subdued growl and coordinate with settled G-D-A. That will get you by until the other three strings die.

michael_t likes this.
  15. Great information... thank you!

16. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name.. Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    Precision Flats are great feeling, and I personally think they are just about the same tension as TI Jazz Flats JF344s. The Fenders were just a notch up, about like the LaBella 760FS set (45-105). In between are the LaBella 760FLs (43-104). I like the feel of all those but the Fenders might be the stickiest. Stiffness and stickiness below Chromes but ballpark, with the Chromes having noticeably more tension.

OT but I recently tried a set of James Jamerson 1954s and they were nowhere near as stiff as I though they'd be. FWIW.

All this is going unscientifically by feel alone.

Also FWIW I like the VT bass Fliptop setting much better than anything on the Ampeg. YMMV.

17. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    If you're looking for articulation in a flat, the Roto 77's are great and stay great for a long time...tension is fairly stiff though, if that's a concern. My $0.02.

18. Fender 9050L have a low tension? mhm .. I don’t think so.
    I don’t know how the GHS Precision Flats are but the Fender 9050L are real bridge tendons when compared to, for example, TI JF344; they are stiffer than D’Addario Chromes and LaBella LTF-4A as well, probably more in line with the features of the classic LaBella DTF ...

19. They are surely more vintage sounding than the D’Addario Chromes in my opinion ... similar to some LaBellas

20. What exactly is meant by "Fliptop"? I never heard that term? Thanks!