1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String through Fender P.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by G19Tony, Jul 12, 2018.

1. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm getting the urge for:

American Professional Precision Bass®

I like Fenders and I will not lie. What are the benefits of a string through? Or is it just another way to put strings on a bass.

Thanks for your input. :thumbsup:

zon6c-f and Linnin like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The advantages (whether imaginary or not is a separate discussion) are said to be increased sustain and improved tone through better acoustic coupling of the strings to the body.

gebass6, GlennRH and Gorn like this.
  3. In other words, it's just another way to put strings on a bass :smug:

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I like to think I can tell a difference. ;) Maybe just a preference since that's how my first bass was strung...

5. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I just think string-through looks cool. :D

Alex Bass, jjmuckluckjr and LT131 like this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    And yet another question without a single answer.

Some will hear a difference, some will feel a difference, and others will not. There are a whole lot of variables going into all of this including no two basses or guitars are ever 100% identical.

I play both and I'm among those who would say there isn't enough difference to worry about. It's more about preference and also string selection as some strings won't work with string through bodies.

There are also basses which can be strung either way.

7. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Can one put flats on a string through bass?

SuperTwin likes this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Like all features purported to have advantages unsupported by evidence, the benefit is the manufacturer gets to include it on more expensive models to partially justify higher costs so they can make money.

9. I don't see why not.

Now about the difference, I think (and not sure how much is imagination so... ) I noticed slightly more tension on the thru body.
    But I don't think I could tell on a blindfold test

10. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I like to think that my bass playing is so awesome that if it wasn't for string through holding them extra tight the strings would just fly off the bass causing multiple orgasms.

11. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I have a Precision Pro and have tried string through and top load. String through will give you a tiny, and I mean TINY bit more tension, but I found no differences in tone.

With string through you also run the risk of twisted strings if you don't string them properly, and for that reason alone I prefer top load. Enough so that I've replaced the stock bridge with a HipShot FM3.

12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Some LaBellas you absolutely can not. I for one, much prefer through the bridge for a more gentle breakover angle across the bridge saddles. Stringing flats through the body will pull the flat ribbon outer wrap apart over the top of the bridge saddles due to the sharp breakover angle and also jam the wrap together underneath. It's an ugly thing. Many say so what and that it makes no difference. To me it does. There is a lot of commentary on both sides of the issue in the strings forum.

bebi, drumvsbass, soulman969 and 4 others like this.
  13. murmur70

murmur70

May 3, 2017
    Indiana
    I have Fender flats on my string through Sting Precision.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    fretlessguy and G19Tony like this.
  14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I have one and recommend it highly. :thumbsup: NBD: Fender American Profesional Precision
    As far as string options go, you can do both at the same time and make up your own mind. I put G&D through body and A&E through the bridge. I could tell no difference in tone or sustain. I have come to the conclusion that I like my strings strung through the bridge, so that's what I do.;)

G19Tony and Son of Wobble like this.
  15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Some yes, some no.

FWIW, one of my P’s is string through and I use the top load option.

sigterm and Son of Wobble like this.
  16. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Just to be honest, I have had string throughs and I do not see a benefit at all. Maybe the tension is a bit tighter, which can be nice for a B string, but other than that I prefer top load.

To add, you may have to buy longer strings, which can make things a real pain too.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I have 5 Pbasses and only one has string thru and it's a Lakland I can't tell any difference in tone, feel etc.

jazz3625tonic and Son of Wobble like this.
  18. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Standard long scale strings fit just fine you just have less to trim after its wound...

19. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    If you ain't got string through, you ain't got ferrules. Go ahead, say it out loud: Ferrules. Feh-RULES. Yeah, it's Latin. And yeah, no one talks Latin any more.

Son of Wobble, jhb138 and G19Tony like this.
  20. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I had issues, but now I just remembered that my string though bass was also a 35inch scale. So I retract my former statement. Haha.

Kukulkan61 likes this.