1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings "Al Dente"!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by williamk, Nov 1, 2010.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    Ok so I've heard about the "boiling your strings" technique to make them sound new, but can someone explain ton me exactly how your supposed to do that? Do you boil them in a pot on the stove like pasta?:confused:
    If so, how do you know when they're ready??

Yes I do realise this sounds stupid, but I don't see how else it should be done!
    Thanks!

2. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    well you boil them in water, just add a pinch of salt and oregano. Strain. Serve hot.

Optional:
    Add any sauce you like.

3. I have never boiled a sting, but I know I have seen threads on it here. try a search, you should find something useful.

4. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I saw that coming, but assumed the joke in the title would discourage funny people from repeating it...:eyebrow:

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Buy denatured alcohol. It's $15 for a gallon of it at the hardware store, and it can be reused over and over again. It also works much better than boiling strings.

Plus, temperature fluctuations with boiling in water is not great for the metal.

6. blr2

blr2

Apr 21, 2010
    Sofia, EU
    +1

Do not boil them. If you want to experiment with cleaning, get some ethanol, or even better isopropanol (if you can find it). Coil your strings, put them in a suitable container that can be kept tightly closed, put the solvent so it covers the strings, cap tightly and store away from children, pets and sources of heat and ignition. Leave it overnight, then take out, wipe with a clean, lint-free cloth, let it dry for one more hour and string.