Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings detuned badly while playing

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JDT, Dec 15, 2005.

1. I played a gig last night, and at the end of our set (about 1 hour long), my strings had detuned badly :mad: I've *never* had to tune inbetween songs, not even during 3-4hour rehersals. We were playing in a bar located in a basement, which means NO windows. 40-50 people.

The bar got REALLY hot while we were playing, and I was wondering if this might be the reason my stings detuned. My E-string tuned to halfway between E and D# according to my tuner. The strings are about a month old but I've been playing regularly (at least 1/2hour a day, and one 3-hour rehersal). Is it the heat, or just the strings (D'Addario Nickel wounds) and bass (Cort B5) combination?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    How old are they... the only time I've ever had problems w/ strings going out like that, was when they're old.

3. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    Wood is sensitive to changes in temp. and humidity . In general , a bass will go flat when the temp. rises and sharp when the temp. lowers . Some instruments are more sensitive than others . I've had basses that go sharp in between sets when the stage lights are off . Graphite necks are much less susceptible .

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you're basses are used to relatively cold weather and relatively dry weather, and you go somewhere hot and humid, you're gonna notice some major tuning issues. Nothing you can do besides use a graphite neck or tune up constantly.

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Of course, there's always the common possibility that something nudged your tuners...

I'm often astonished how little effort it sometimes takes to detune my axe, especially when it's been in tune for months, after sitting in and on top of its case, on the stage occastionally, etc.

Then I pick it up by the headstock, accidentally pick it up too high, and the low B spins half a turn... weird.

Oh, and I've actually seen bar patrons detune guitars, so that might be a possibility as well.

6. Thanks for the help guys:) I'm pretty sure it's the bass because I tuned, started playing and never left my bass. And I'm pretty sure the tuners remained untouched when I played :p

If my bass keeps detuning on long sets, I'll just get a tuner that I can keep working while playing for quick tuning inbetween songs:)

7. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    You never know. You might be surprised how little effort it sometimes takes to detune a guitar.

Of course, if only one string went a quarter step flat, I don't consider that "way" out of tune. Were any other strings out? I mean, considering that you're on a hot stage and pulling on that string for a solid hour, a lot of basses will "sag" in pitch, even with top notch tuners installed.

But yeah, a quick tuner is a good idea (actually, a necessary idea).