1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for a L2500

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by billdelprete, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Hi Guys,

Can you share your thoughts on strings for an L2500?

Thanks,
    Bill (a soon-to-be new G&L'er)
    :hyper:

2. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    TI Jazz Flats are still my all time favorite. Forget slapping, but everything else is fantastic.

3. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    DR Lowriders. The d'ads that come on it were too zingy for me, but the DRs brought it under control. I've been slowly migrating to flats though, so it's probably only a matter of time before I agree with the above.

4. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Here's my fretless L2500 with the D'Addario Chrome flats (.045-.100, .132 on the B). I've done the bolt mod to the bridge and these are the regular long scale top-loaded. Bridge PU only in series mode, passive. Both tone knobs up full.
    Drums courtesy of my boss loop station.

I actually don't like the sound when it's by itself, it sounds kind of like it's strung with rubber bands. But it sits in a mix really nice and sounds pretty good through an amp as well.

I've tried rounds on it and even with no frets it's way too zingy and the B blows everything else away. The flats do give the rubber-band sound a bit but really evens out the tone...

PS. with both PU's on, it's a total wall of dark, velvety vroom.....

LS

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I think D'Addario XLs go good on a L-2500. Get the superlongs.

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I've been using EB Regular Slinky 5's on my L2500 since the beginning (1997). .045, .065, .080, .100, .130.

7. lovenotfear

lovenotfear

Aug 15, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    +1.... I love dr low riders on all of my basses, except on my G&L L2500 the b and e string always sound thuddy, so I recently tried the ernie ball regular slinky 5's and they are the best sounding string i have had on this bass, and it is funny because I swore ernbie ball stings were crap, i have avoided their strings for the last 15 years, and man i sure was wrong about that, they gave my bass such a crisp and clear tone.

8. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Another super-long Chromes user here.

9. I just tried D'Addario XL170SL & am very happy so far.
    Thanks for all the input!
    Bill
    :D

10. Flabass

Flabass

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Just put D'Addario ECB81 Flat Wound Chromes on one of my L2000's.

Awesome.

11. bhie_alka

bhie_alka

Mar 30, 2009
    Bogor-Indonesia
    i put the ernie ball round wound strings for my L-2500

12. Dominic DeCosa

Dominic DeCosa Habitual Line-Stepper Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 9, 2008
    Vero Beach, Florida
    DiCosimo Audio
    For roundwounds I really liked the sound and feel of Fender Pure Nickel (7150) strings. For flatwounds I've been using DR Hi-Beam Flats which I've been very happy with. Probably not as good as TI, but for the price I think they're amazing.