1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings for a MM StingRay

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassInUrFace, May 1, 2010.

1. Due for a re-string. i normaly use ernie ball strings and im just wondering if there is any other brands that i should give a go to get the best out of my ray.

its recent model (last 5 years), single pickup & maple neck

cheers

2. D'addario make some nice strings :)

I've got some chromes on my fretless 'ray at the mo.

Tho, they are flats, don't know if it'd be your thing or not!

3. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I actually just went through this recently. Right now, I'm loving the DR Nickel Lo-Riders that I have on.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I am really digging Hartke strings except for their G... All others are nice, crisp, and have a lot of bite, but the G is kinda dull and rubbery. That said, 3 sets for $25 ain`t that shabby ;)

5. bassplayer75

bassplayer75 Bassplayer75 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2009
    salyersville, ky
    I vote for DR sunbeams (nickle) ...

6. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I just did a second gig with a set of Dunlop stainless. I prefer the sound of nickel, but something about my body chemistry corrodes nickel strings and causes them to go dead after one gig, so I have to use stainless. The Dunlops sound closer to nickel than any SS strings I've ever played, and actually remind me of a broken-in set of DR Nickel LoRiders (significantly less stiff, though). I think a lot of SS fans have criticized them for this, but I like the fact that they're much warmer and less scooped than I expect SS strings to be. Plus, they're relatively inexpensive. You should try a set.

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I am a big fan of Slinky strings on my Ernie Ball basses as they just seem to work so well which I guess would not be a surprise. They do lose their tone and get pretty dead sounding after awhile where I have found that a good set of stainless steel strings tend to still have a very nice growl and punch even after they have died.

DR stainless lowriders sound good to my ears and last a long time but for a Stingray, i would stick with the super slinky set (45-100). Nothing like em when their fresh!

8. Bass.

Bass.

Jan 23, 2006
    San Diego
    DR sunbeams are my strings of choice!! I love them to death
    the Lo Riders are pretty nice as well

but I had a stingray for a few years and honestly on the stringray I think the ernie balls are the best

9. stoolpigeon

stoolpigeon

Dec 17, 2009
    Greenville SC
    Elixers...always.