Strings for an Aria Pro II

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ADbassman, Apr 26, 2004.

1. I'm looking for a set of good strings to replace the factory strings on my Aria Pro II P-Bass. I'm looking for a nice solid tone out of them, much like the P-Bass sound you're used to hearing. I just gave it new pickups and will probably be giving it a new bridge and other parts, and I just need a good pair of strings to match.

The set that is on them I think is a lighter guage. I really don't know the differences between like light, medium and heavy strings, other than the obvious, so I'd be grateful if somebody could fill me in.
  2. Gauges of strings are down to personal preference. Lighter strings are easier to bend, tap, hammer-on, pull-off etc... Heavier strings need more hand strength to muscle them about.

As for the sound, read the string FAQ's and rules on the strings page. This should help you obtain the sound you want. As a rule, steel are bright and flats are 'thumpy'. Nickel is normally in-between, so I would recommend buying a set of nickel wound strings in 45-105. I personally use DR Fat Beams 40-100. These are steel, and bright with fingers, and put-your-sunnies-on bright with a pick.

Give some a go, its the only way you can buy the right string.
  3. Hope this helps, and thanks to Flatwound for all the excellent info!