1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for C tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by yannn, May 3, 2010.

1. yannn

yannn

Feb 4, 2010
    What would be better for C F A# D#?
    Tuning a thick 4 string set like 110-50 down 2 steps or get a 5 string set, don't use the G string and tune up a half step?

2. BrutalPigeon

BrutalPigeon

Mar 21, 2010
    Take a light 5 string package, like 125. - 45. and use last four strings.

3. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I keep my 12 tuned to C and use a light gauge B, either .120 or 125. The tension on a heavy gauge E might make it a touch too floppy.

4. check out the new DR DDT strings

5. Beat me to the punch. This is exactly what I did in Embalmer.

6. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Musician's Gear from Musiciansfriend.com 5 string set and lose the G. .130-.105-.85-.65
    and only like $8/set. I've used every big brand through the years and these things sound and feel just as good to me.

7. when i was in a death metal band I used GHS strings, they have a set where the E is a 115 and it was perfect for me.

8. For some reason, 115 gauge strings always seem to be in short supply. Fortunately for me the band I just joined has an endorsement with LaBella strings, so I can get pretty much whatever I need.

9. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    This is fantastic for drop tuned instruments. No more mixing and matching sets trying for the right tensions. Good job DR!

10. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Dropped standard tunings, yes. Not drop tuned.

11. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    What?

12. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    The DDT sets are for dropping the entire set down in register in traditional 4ths - that is how they are balanced based on the gauges in their sets - not for dropping the lowest string a whole step down in addition.

13. DDTs are awesome!!

14. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    I wasn't aware there was a difference. Anything lower than EADG is dropped tuned to me.

15. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    yea i was looking at those ddt sets today on guitar centers website and for some reason the price of all bass strings went up to 35$ and up the new ddt ones were 50 a set...

16. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    There is lowered tuning and drop tuned.

Standard strings are tuned in 4ths. Lowered tunings retain this relationship between strings but let you drop the pitch they are tuned to.

A drop tuned set has just the lowest string tuned a whole step lower than the normal interval - it's a 5th relationship between the lowest string and the immediately adjacent string, with the balance of the set having 4ths intervals.

DDT sets are meant for standard intervals (4ths), but lowered in pitch as a set. DDT stands for Drop Down Tuning, not drop tuning.

I am glad to see another manufacturer provide for experimentation, and I am glad as well that these sets are working for drop tuners. But the DDT string sets are not balanced for drop tuning - there are better solutions.

17. bassphreak

bassphreak Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Lehigh Valley Area, PA
    ^^good distinction and description^^

I also made the false assumption that DDT would be a good option for drop-c. If the tension isn't right it may more set up than other options.