1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for Metal?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Metaljunkie, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Metaljunkie

Metaljunkie

Sep 16, 2008
    Im playing in a metal band and i am getting a bass that has flatwounds preinstalled cause it was a friends. What strings are good for a more rock and metal sound? Like Avenged Sevenfold or Motley Crue type sounds

2. What do you mean by rock and metal sound? Rounds and flats are used in both. And to different results.

3. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

daddarios Prosteels, bright growly sound

4. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I've had nothing but good things for Steve Harris flats, they eat my fingers up though because of the stiffness

5. round wound strings are generaly more versatile and are capable of more sustain and harmonic richness, flats tend to sound fairly dull and plunky by nature, they don't quite have the 'power' sound that you might want for some kinda of metal. it depends on your taste but i hope this helps.

6. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Steve Harris flats? Are you mad? Flats are THE MOST un-metal strings you can get! Plus, I have no good words for Rotosound strings.

My recommendation is D'addario Pro Steels. They grind!

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Anything. :rolleyes: