1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for Mini Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Apr 7, 2009.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Help me TB, you're my only hope :rollno:

I'm having a beast of a time finding a set of strings to go on my Samick Mini Bass (~26" scale). I bought a 7-string guitar set, and used the low strings (.058 .048 .038 .028). The set that was on originally sounding excellent tuned ADGC, but these new strings aren't even close to the same tension unless tuned DGCF.

I'm guessing one of my only options is a 6-string bass set and used the top 4-strings (.080 for the A). I just don't feel like spending more on these strings than I would for my 5-strings.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some really heavy guitar strings or something.

Thanks!

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  3. TheEmptyCell

Thanks, Buskman... those look like they might work tuned ADGC.

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    at 26" you're going to need thick strings to get a low note. Try the bottom four of a 5-string set

5. TheEmptyCell

Oh, guess I should clarify: from factory the bass is strung ADGC, the high strings of a 6-string bass. Right now, I have it tuned piccolo, EADG.

I'd like to have it tuned ADGC again, but so far, the .058 low B from the 7-string guitar set is barely heavy enough to handle DGCF.