Strings for my G&L L2000

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cataract, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Dunlop SuperBrights (nickel) are on most of my basses, but somehow I found them too harsh on my L-2500. That one shines with DR Sunbeams, though.
    Like already mentioned, it depends on taste, and on the bass IME. To me it's part of the fun of getting a new bass: trying out different strings and finding the 'right' type.

2. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist: Nordstrand Audio, Tsunami Cables

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    All of those strings pictured are great choices, and I've used all of them at one point or another.

Hard for me to say which one I'd prefer, but I've used the D'Addario XL more recently. Feel, tone and longevity all seemed to be on point for me, but YMMV.

SIT Strings has a Power Wound set specifically for G&L basses. I've never used that one but I've used other SIT strings in the past with good results.

BrentSimons and cataract like this.
  3. I use Sunbeams on my L-2500. They are my favorite.

cataract likes this.
  4. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    I've had D'Addario Chromes (45-100) on my L2K for 20+ years

douglasbass and cataract like this.
  5. You have all good choices there. I believe my fingers would prefer the feel of Sunbeams. I presently have DR Pure Blues on G&L J bass, Hi Beams on my G&L M-2500.

6. I've used GHS Boomers .050-.115 on my '85 L2000 for the last 20ish years. Those and the DR Bootzillas ( can't remember the exact gauges, prob .110-.050 ) are it for that bass for me.

cataract likes this.
  7. I have TI Super Alloys on my L2500, as well as on my Spector Euro 4LT Special.

Great strings, good growl and plenty of tone (which you can dial out if you want something that is more bland sounding).

cataract likes this.
  8. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Pownal, ME
    I always loved the sound of rotos on my L2000. They didn't last long but sounded great while they lasted.

son_of_mogh, BrentSimons and cataract like this.
  9. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    LOTS of great input here, thanks to all!
    Part of me wants to give the XLs a go first (simply hear what a fresh off the line L2K sounds like) but then again, my love for Sunbeams on my other basses & not ever trying Hi-Beams makes me wanna go that route immediately.. now I’m eager to pick up some Lo-Riders and all of the Dunlop Nickel love makes me wish the local brick & mortar shops had those in stock yesterday.. thanks again for all of the recommendations!

son_of_mogh, One Way and BrentSimons like this.
  10. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I put Hi-beams on my L-2500, and they're a bit bright for my taste

BrentSimons, One Way and cataract like this.
  11. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    According to Bobby Vega Leo build the L2Ks for GHS hexcore strings... Whatever you want to nake of this....

cataract likes this.
  12. Hi there,
    My L2K came with XL 170s installed as well. They sounded great fresh and lasted quite a while. Well balanced with a good twang! With those HAWT pickups a little twang goes a LONG way! ;)
    I haven't played my L2K in years unfortunately. It is one of the best feeling basses I've ever had. I ordered it back in 2008. It is clear red with a #8 jazz neck with maple fretboard. I had G&L do the "single coil" mod on it at the factory. The clear red and maple is my salute to Geddy and his red jazz. :)
    Right now the L2K is under the bed in it's case wearing a fairly fresh set of Dunlop Super Bright Nickels. These are great strings. Very crunchy mids and good twangy treble but they are very low tension and I think my fingers like a little more tension?
    Anyway you have a great selection of strings there! I haven't used DR Sunbeams before but I have Hi Beams on several of my basses and they last a long time! But again low tension. I should probably switch to Lo Riders at some point.
    I had a set of Rotosound Swing Bass nickels on once and those were great too. Snarly and warm. But they had a sharp treble roll off. I did put regular Swing Bass steels on once but it was almost too much?

Good luck on your tone quest! You may have inspired me to take my L2K out for a spin tomorrow, :)
    Stay healthy,
    Brent

tindrum and cataract like this.
  13. CTW68

CTW68

Apr 30, 2007
    Portland, OR
    On my SB-2, I went from Hi-Beams to Lo-Rider Nickles to GHS Balanced Nickles. Both of the DRs were a bit harsh and zingy in combination with the MFD, but the BNs have settled in very nicely.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  14. B-Lo

B-Lo Bassist, Drummer, Sound Tech, part time Ninja... Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Northern Alabama
    Another vote for an honorable mention of DR Pure Blues which I also have on my L2500.

cataract, tindrum and One Way like this.
  15. I'm using EB Regular Slinkies on mine, and they sound real good, yet I'm also looking at different strings for my L2000. My band is a stoner rock trio and my bass is more often than not, right up front with the guitar in the mix. In my mind I'm hearing strings that retain midrange punch and definition, yet are deeper/warmer and more flexible to play than the EB's.

Any ideas in what brand/type you'd guide me to?

cataract likes this.
  16. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    You might like Dunlop super bright nickel. SIT power wound or foundations might be your thing too. Foundations are supposed to be extra flexible which may work or may not since you're coming from a stiffer string already. Ken Smith Burners are another great option. I like the Rockmasters which are the all steel version. I think Ernie Ball were the worst strings I've played right there with GHS boomers even though I thought the boomers at least were stable good strings that just had a tone I really don't like. I like more brightness so that's just me. But those 3 I mentioned you wouldn't go wrong with and I haven't heard of them being mid scooped or anything so they should give you a great tone.

Bright Midnight and cataract like this.
  17. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby He stole my mojo! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    TI flats come to mind.

jastraw and Bright Midnight like this.
  18. Thanks GT! Will look into it.

cataract and GTHintz like this.
  19. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    You should give us a post when you get the new strings on. And ad galli strings to the possibilities. They are fairly cheap online but they are exceptional strings for being nickel. I still have a used set laying around. They sounded good but I wore them out fast because I think I have something in my hands that kills nickel. I can get stainless to last a million times longer for some reason.

Bright Midnight likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022