Strings for my G&L L2000

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cataract, Jan 13, 2022.

1. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Went out and bought some strings to try out on my L2K. I know the ones that are on it right now are the stock EXL170s, so grabbed a pack of those too.
    Anyone running any of these on theirs? Thoughts?
    3B2BA13A-A537-469E-AA6D-0D61F8310573.jpeg

2. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Mine currently has SS LaBellas on it.

When it is time to change them, I will likely switch (unsure on what though. Probably Rotos or Warwick depending on what gauge it seems to like best, but whatever that ends up being will introduce or eliminate possibilities).

Zak TMD and cataract like this.
  3. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Good results with all stainless strings, then? I’ve read they can be “not good” or too much.

4. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Yes, but I am more of a stainless guy anyway.

(I do have GHS pressurewounds on a fretless and have some interest in having a P strung with flats, but that would never be my main player unless I had a gig that required that sound in some way. I do not see this happening, but maybe.)

Edit: Out of the choices in the pic, I would go with the Hi-Beams.

dralionux and cataract like this.
  5. tindrum

tindrum Supporting Member

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    I gigged for years with a couple of L-200’s and I always used stainless DR Low Riders. Not harsh in the slightest. Very punchy and snappy.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    son_of_mogh and cataract like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Trying to get down with some pressure wounds on my L2000 fretless. They're taking some getting used to.

cataract likes this.
  7. cataract

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Awesome! Good to know. I almost picked up some of these today, will have to go back to the store sometime this weekend. Thanks for the tip!
    I’m going to install the Hi-Beams tomorrow! Excited to hear how they compare to Sunbeams.

tindrum likes this.
  8. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks for this. I would give the 40-95 set a try on my L2K.

Maybe that is what I will do on that bass next.

tindrum and cataract like this.
  9. I too tried out PWs on my fretless pretty recently (not an L2K, but anyways…) Read so many good things about those strings on this board and other places online. I couldn’t stand them :laugh: They seem like well-made strings, but I couldn’t get used to them. The only other strings I’ve had a more averse reaction to were D’Addario Half Rounds. I guess ground-wound and pressure-wound strings just aren’t for me!

10. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I run LaBella Black Nylon Tape wounds on both my G&L
    Duke
    6F704C58-2EF3-4826-ACE8-56B433306228.jpeg B2466E56-70AC-49D5-B6EC-6D5B45A12018.jpeg

11. I'm a nickel round wound guy. I tried stainless wound on a P-bass many years ago and they didn't agree with me. I've also tried flats, but they just don't have the pop of rounds IMO. Everyone's taste in tone is different. That should be your #1 guiding light. Comfort also plays a part. I had an L2000 a while back that I ran Ernie Ball Slinky nickel wounds on with great success. I also had an L2500 on which I ran Elixir nickel wounds with the Nano coating. They sounded great as well, with the added benefit of slightly less finger noise and more comfort than the Ernie Balls.

Zak TMD, ComeHomeShane and cataract like this.
  12. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Seattle, Wa
    High Beams Sound incredible on my G &L bass. The only string how are use.

13. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I have an L-2500 with DR Sunbeams on it now. I like them but was considering the Pure Blues on them. Had labella LTFs on for a while. A lot depends on the sound you are looking for.

B-Lo, One Way, Gizmot and 1 other person like this.
  14. BrentSimons and cataract like this.
  15. I’ve used Sunbeams and as well as Hi-Beams. I much prefer Dr Low Riders. The D’Addarios are good strings but I’d rather use GHS bass boomers. I bought and used one set of Warwick round wounds. Never again.

tindrum and cataract like this.
  16. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    If you’re going for rounds, DR is hard to beat. The last rounds I used were Pure Blues, which tamed a bit of midrange funkiness. If you’re going flats, you can do no better than TI Jazz Flats

B-Lo, tindrum, GroovyBaby and 2 others like this.
  17. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    It's hard to go wrong with the L series. A friend of mine has been using his L25k for 5 ish years as his main player and it still has the original Elixir nanoweb strings that came on it. The trained ear can hear that they have obviously lost their zing, but they tend to tame the MFD pick ups in a good way.

jglunt and cataract like this.
  18. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Thank you
    Duke

BrentSimons likes this.
  19. halcyo

halcyo

Sep 19, 2012
    I have an L1000 and when I did my first string change I switched from the stock D’Addarios to GHS Boomers, which got a lot of love on these forums. I even had to special order them.

Honestly though, the stock D’Addarios suited the bass better, in my opinion, and I’ll probably switch back. Lol

BrentSimons, tindrum and cataract like this.
  20. 2F/2F

2F/2F Supporting Member

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    For rounds on an L-2K, I like the DR Low Rider .111s, the GHS .115" set, or the D'Addario .120" balanced tension set.

But most of my L-2Ks have flats on them. LaBella DTB 110s, RS 77s (.110s or .105s), or Dunlop .105s for a lighter feel and more middy tone.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    son_of_mogh and cataract like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2022