1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for my new L2500? Inputs Needed Please!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by DanoesqBass, Feb 24, 2008.

1. DanoesqBass

DanoesqBass Bass For Life Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Omaha
    Please let me know what yall use on your 2500's.

I know this has been mentioned in a thread but forgot where.

I just wanted to consolidate the info here.

Of course I had to take off the stock ones, and yes, I had to cut the cloth thread stuff at top off my usual Dean Markleys SR2000's to get the B string to go thru body hole, then it was too short for the core of the taper to go beyond the saddle so I am top strung at the moment, would like to go back thru body with taper-wrapping if possible...

Thanks in advance!

2. mainsail

mainsail

Mar 24, 2007
    San Diego Ca
    I'm using a custom set from DR. The .120 B makes it a custom. I did this because the L2500 has enough low end and I felt it might cut down on some of the boomyness in the room.
    The DR long scale strings should be no problem stringing through the body.

My set is .45, .65, .80, .100 and .120. Round-wound with hex core.

I've had these strings on since November and they still sound great. The B has nice low-end and good punch to my ear.

There's lots of choices out there. Good luck.

Larry

3. Mytola

Mytola

Jun 1, 2007
    Norway
    I use Thomastik SuperAlloys on my L2500. I buy the 6-string set with the .30 C, and use the E-C from it, as I don't really care much for the low B.

They are easy on the fingers, bright and snappy, and lasts for ages. Really good strings.

4. driftersinc

driftersinc

Jul 10, 2006
    Flushing, NY
    Mine is strung with DR High Stream .040 set. They're fairly bright strings and sound awesome!

5. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    .45-.125 DR Sunbeams.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    another vote for Super Alloy's string .030 - .105, E through C from moi.

If I string with rounds, I use Super Alloy's. Flat's I use Jazz flats. For the most part that's all I use. Once in a while a bass comes along that just wants more or less tension. Then I look elsewhere.

7. hyoshim

hyoshim

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    +100

Definately the best match in my mind.

8. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Agreed. I have the normal 5-string set on my fretless L-2500 & a fairly new L-2000. Awesome strings and the low B is pretty good...

9. DanoesqBass

Nov 20, 2007
    Omaha
    Thanks folks, those .45-.125 DR Sunbeams do appear to be nicely balanced for this neck based on what I could imagine from the spread of the gauge range...

10. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I just ordered a set of Sunbeams For my L-2500 I just can't wait to put it them on

11. EW57

EW57

Aug 3, 2006
    No Rotosounds??

12. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I just threw a used set of Superalloys on my Ash / Maple L2K Tribby. That's the string I have been looking for this bass. Great feel. Great sound. These strings have a completey different sound on the G&L than they did on my Sadowsky. On my alder / rosewood Sadowsky they kinda had a old school sound on I really heard the low mids coming thru. But on the G&L they can do sizzly really well with the preamp engaged and have a more full specturm thing going on.

13. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Ernie Ball Slinky in the green package, 45-130.

What I like about these...besides being the right length...is that they are even sounding all the way across. The B string really sounds like it belongs with the E string, clear and well defined.

I tried D'Addario XL superlong...45-130...like what comes on the Tributes, but I thought the B string was muddy sounding and didn't match up to the rest of the set.

Went back to the Slinky set. I think they're also easier to play than the DA strings...feel like less tension, even though the same gauge.

14. DanoesqBass

Nov 20, 2007
    Omaha
    Thanks everyone! "Superalloys" ??? hmm, dont know what brand they are...

15. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
  16. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Are you guys getting the Superalloys to go thru body on the fivers? It looks like there is enough string to do it.

17. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    I didn't string mine thru body. Its been awhile, but IIRC, I tried & the wrapping on one or two of the strings overlapped the nut, so I decided to just run thru bridge.

Not sure how much variation there is between sets, so it may be possible on some other sets.

FWIW, they sound fine thru bridge -- really don't notice any difference between it and my other 2500 which is strung thru body (with a different type of strings, of course).

hth.

18. francisl2500

francisl2500

Jul 19, 2006
    quebec
    Slinky ernie ball .45 /125 sound good to me. Used dunlop, dean markley and ghs but there was never gave me that punch like slinky's does. But i notice that they sound less longer than other ones so it's not a problem for me to change twice a year to get that great sound i love.
    Francis

19. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I had some XL 170's on my US L25K and they played quite well. But I started up in a new blues band so I bought the Chromes Superlong. What a pain, the B string-130, would not string thru body and its like a friggin cable. I still cant get it intonated so the bass is parked. I just bought a bass setup tool kit so Im gonna try to use that and the stickys here to do a setup but if it dont get better Im putting the still fairly new XL 170's back on. But on that set the B string came up short so could not string it thru body. I put DR Sunbeams on my 55-02 and really like those strings.

Which DR strings are flatwounds that will fit a L25K thru body?

20. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Another one for the Ernie ball green package. 45-130.
    GREAT STRINGS-LOW PRICE-HIGH AVAILABILITY-LONG LASTING-GREAT TONE.

What else would you need???

danman