1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for my Yamaha 170

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrchongnoi, Aug 13, 2007.

1. mrchongnoi

mrchongnoi

Apr 12, 2007
    Please excuse me my question is lame. I just recently picked up playing the bass again after 20 years. I have Yamaha 170 I recently purchased. I stings sound dead to me. Any recommendations on Strings? I am considering Fodera strings.

any recommendations. Helpful.

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    This is a very general question. Your profile is not filled out. What type of music would you like to play and what type of bass sounds do you like? Deep and thumpy? Bright and sparkly? Also, did you read the strings FAQ at the top of this forum?

3. mrchongnoi

mrchongnoi

Apr 12, 2007
    sorry for the bad grammer. I like Funk and fusion. My Jazz base has a nice sound soft booming sound. The 170 is going to be my practice bass when I am on the road with my job. In any case, I would like to have a nice Funk sound out of it.

4. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    I got a 170 fitted with Daddario chromes. Why chromes, cos it is a practice bass and I never have to change the strings. Plus the sound last a veryy loong time. It works well, unless you're after a sizzling slap tone.

5. mrchongnoi

mrchongnoi

Apr 12, 2007
    Thanks. I will give them a try.

6. I use D'Addario XL-170's (nickel rounds) on my RBX-170...it's my main bass...they are a good all around string, IMO...

strings last me about 6 months with about 2 - 3 cleans (I've tried alcohol soaks and washing machine cycles)...the washing machine looks promising...

if you're into flats, the chromes would be a great choice, too...

7. mrchongnoi

mrchongnoi

Apr 12, 2007
    I am trying otu some fender flat wounds on my jazz. sounds nice. I will try the round wonds on the 170