1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for snappy bass sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brawdylucas, Jul 4, 2012.

1. brawdylucas

brawdylucas

Mar 14, 2012
    Ive been looking for some strings for that classic snappy bass sound anyone have any good recommendations perferably like 45-105

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    For classic snappy sound my recommendation would be Rotosound 66's. Nickels. I have a set .45 - .105 that have good feel on the two basses I've tried them on. They tarnish and age well too but they should have a few weeks of 'new string edge' to them.
    If you want longer lasting new string sound you could try stainless steel 66's, they are slightly scooped sounding, and harsh on the frets (I would not use on a wick or bass with brass fretwire for long) not to mention the fingers.

Some swear by DR, D'Addario, Fender and others. If you want a flatwound string with lots of snap try chromes. they feel great and are bright.
    For a day or two the roto 77's I'm using ATM had snap, now they go thump thump, athumity thumpa.:bassist:

3. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
  4. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    The word "snappy" makes me think of the sound you get when you pluck hard with your finger tips and let it snap back....if that's what you mean, then I think going a gauge lighter is better for that, like 40-100.

Words describing sounds are so hard to interpret.

5. brawdylucas

brawdylucas

Mar 14, 2012
    thats true i mean like the crisp and snappy :p

6. Hello. Necrobumping n00b here. Just about to ask the same thing. I stumbled upon a set of Rotos '66 35-120...maybe too thin? They're supposed to go on a Squier VM p-bass paired with Nordstrand NP5F pups (on their way)...really looking for that "snap!" on the attack that the stock pups+strings couldn't seem to give me. Also, OT, last time I played it it sounded unusually "nasal", as the mids were boosted way high. Maybe it was the venue, or the mixing guy not too sober, don't know....maybe suggestion, too, but I hope I'm moving in the right direction to get as close as possible to that snappy '57 P sound I have in my ears.

7. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Rotos are your best bet for a jazz bass. I've heard people use blue steels but I'm happy with the rotosound swing bass strings right now. Ive tried others and roto swing bass are the way to go for the crisp loud hard biting tone we like. If you like thicker id say check the billy Sheehan strings. They are thicker than the swing bass 66ld that i have.

Kijuer likes this.
  8. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Oops you have a p bass. Lol I'm sorry. The same applies to a p bass too.

9. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    ROTOSOUND | BASS GUITAR STRINGS ELECTRIC GUITAR STRINGS
    This is a link to Rotosounds website.
    Check out what the different artists are using. The history is awesome too!!! They have any gauge you can want and explains thier different strings. Hopefully itll give you an idea of what you want. I fell in love ever since getting Rotos on my main bass. Nothing ive tried is louder, heavier, or more articulate than the Rotos.

Kijuer likes this.
  10. PSD 99..interesting concept. Wondering if anyone tried these. I've read somewhere that you can't slap with them but I couldn't find an explanation why....was that BS?

11. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    You know, it sounds very interesting. I think that you'd be able to slap the crap out of these because think of it this way, a piano string has a mallet that strikes each string and the sound is created by literally slapping the string. So a bass you should be able slap really great on those. The sustain should really make an interesting tone. Haven't tried these yet but if I get a deal I'm snagging a set. They just so happen to make them in a gauge I like best.

12. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Also, funkmaster strings are notoriously good slappers.

13. I'm pretty sure the source of that info was Mr. So-and-So. After all, it would be such a mechanical limitation that I would expect the manufacturer to highlight that if it was true.

14. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Whoever that was we should tell him to go get a set, string it up, play something funky, and try it. If he don't like it at least he knows first hand. :thumbsup:

Kijuer likes this.
  15. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Doug Wimbish plays Roto strings and he can slap really great! Hes versatile though. Ive heard him play slap and fingerstyle and both are great.

16. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Rotosound Funkmasters are the first strings that come to mind when I hear “snappy”. They are much lighter than standard gauge, but that’s where the snappy comes from.

Kijuer and GTHintz like this.
  17. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Funk master Snappy starts at around 0:33

(Parachute pants and raccoon on top of head are optional)

GTHintz likes this.
  18. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Great example! The Wal electronics really bring out the voice of the strings too. But to me that tone is classic Roto and classic Geddy! I just wish the parachute pants looked that good on me! Hahaha

19. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    AND THE WAY THEY GOT INTO THIS SONG WHEN THEY DID IT LIVE WAS F***ING BEAUTIFUL!!!! A SHOW OF HANDS LIVE VERSION IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! THANKS FOR POSTING :bassist:

Kijuer likes this.