1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

strings for stingray 5?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by swivel_001, Sep 18, 2008.

1. swivel_001

swivel_001

Sep 10, 2008
    hey guys...
    im just wondering what kinda string is the best for stingray 5...
    im very new to this stainless steel and 'another' kinda of strings...

i also heard that different kinda strings will wear the fret faster? hmmm...

okay.. please recommend me a set of strings which i change!!

thanks!!

2. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Well, D'addario Pro Steel 5 string sets sound great, but they do eat your fret wire.

I play a 5 string bass, and I have found GHS Boomers (5 string) give great tone (much longer lasting than anyone else) at a low price and dont hurt your frets.

D'addario nickle wound are also good, but I am now a GHS Boomers player.

3. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Consider trying DR Hi Beams for Stainless Steel and DR Sunbeams for Nickle. I would suggest staying with the .130 B string.

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    You beat me to it!
    I have a 5-string Stingray, and I like GHS Boomers on it MUCH better than anything else. (And they're nickel and thus won't eat the frets as quickly as steel.) (Gauges: 45, 65, 85, 105, 130)
    I think they're the best, for that bass. To my ears, they have more rich bottom and less strident mids than D'Addarios or DRs, so they complement the Music Man thing perfectly. (IMO.)

5. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I would suggest DR Fat Beams for Stainless Steel or Sadowsky Nickels which have a tapered B string (it's a little more responsive and meaty than a non-tapered string).

6. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Sounds interesting; Music Man's tend to sit in the midrange so anything that "adds bass" is always a plus with these basses. I already gave props to them but the DR Fat Beams are nice and warm with deep lows but have a nice high end sparkle to them as well.

eriky4003 likes this.
  7. I am personally not a fan of steels - too brittle sounding for my tastes.

I've found Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies to be nice. Not a 'brittle' but plenty bright and gutsy.

8. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ernie Ball strings are good but they do "dull down" pretty fast. After about a month of playing consistently, they become pretty dulled down which some people like. If you like any kind of zing or brightness, these might not be a good pick. I used to keep a set of Slinky's on my P bass for 6 months or longer so that they got a nice classic Motown thump to them. They almost sound like flats after a few months. Slinkys are cheap however (approx. $16.00), and if you don't like them you are not out much.

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've always used DR High Beams (stainless) on all my SR4's and SR5's, nice growly tone. I've never had them wear my frets either. Also, the average set lasts me 4-6 months.
    The EB slinkies I kill in 2-3 weeks.

hstingrayh likes this.
  10. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I use Elixirs on all my MM basses. My Sterling 5 has a non tapered .135 B string. Great tone,perfect tension,easy on the fingers,and easy on the frets.

11. GMOB

GMOB

Aug 11, 2018
    Me Rays - SR5/ SR5 FL, SR4/SR4FL all seem to really like nickel EB Super Slinkys.
    They just seem to feel and sound the best. Probably some nepotism by design, but why fight it?
    I am not a super sweat producer, so the $ to longevity ratio is strong for me.

DR Sunbeams and PureBlues sound and feel great on the Rays too. Really like these strings!!

I have tried Ken Smith SS strings as well. They feel great, and have a unique snappiness to them, especially for the slap spank. However they are tough on the frets, and sound less versatile tonally to my ears.

Very interested to try both EB Slinky Flats (Cobalt) 2814/2816 , and TI JF 344/345 on my SR's too.
    I have a new found love of Flats - Creamy beige goodness, like Baileys. Not stiff like a breadstick.

12. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    My main bass is a Stingray 5 and my absolute favorite strings on it are DR Nickel Lo-Riders. They're a perfect match in my opinion.

13. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    For rounds I always loved the EB slinkies on my Stingray's.
    Several months ago I tried a set of TI Jazz flats on one of my SR5's and have been so impressed that I put TI's on all three of my SR5's. Hands down the best string I've ever played. So smooth feeling, perfectly expressive and every nuance comes out. I can't see ever going back to rounds...

Mastermold likes this.
  14. I bought some TI flats for my SR5 a few years ago but haven't put them on because the La Bella flats I put on before that have been sounding so nice I didn't want to take them off. But someday I'll try out those TIs!

15. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Another vote for the Ernie Balls, but I use the Power Slinkies, which is 50, 70, 85, 105, and 135. Nice, even, not terribly bright out of the package, but they stay that bright for several weeks until I play them out (I'm a little heavy-handed, trying to lighten up some, but I've had 1 nice long career and in the middle of my second career playing the way I do).

Stainless steel strings, to my ear, are missing a little something in the mid-range. And that's the case for any bass I use stainless on. And there's only a couple of other makers that make those gauges I like without a hideously-expensive custom-gauge order (and I get it about tension of other smaller gauges, but I just like the feel of the EBs, so I don't need that case made again). To boot, the EB Power Slinkies are priced right. So why not?

Naturally, your mileage may and probably will vary.

68Goldfish likes this.