1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Strings for Thumb

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Paulb7664, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Hi All
    I need a new set of strings for my thumb N/T. At the moment I have the original Warwick Blacks, and find that the D&G strings can be a bit bright.
    I play finger style in a rock covers band and like a clear but deep tone. I find I can get a tight deep tone on the E&A but loose my thump when I play the D&G strings.
    What do you suggest I try??

Thanks

Paul

2. I have a Warwick Thumb 5 BO and went through a few sets of strings before I found the right match. For me, I just couldn't deal with stainless steel strings. They were just too bright and aggressive and had too much finger noise. A lot of guys want that on a Thumb. I say if that's what they want, then they can have it. I was after a bit of a smoother tone with less finger noise, but still with plenty of growl and punch. Then I tried some SIT Silencers which are basically like groundwounds or half-rounds, I believe. They're supposed to sound a lot like roundwounds but with less clack and finger noise. I really liked them for about two weeks. After that, the growl was gone.

In the end I tried D'addario XL's (nickel roundwounds). These were the perfect match for me. These or possibly another brand of nickel rounds just might be what you're looking for in terms of getting more of a deeper tone with thump, as you say.

3. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    dr high-beams

4. Paulb7664

Paulb7664

Sep 30, 2004
    Kent UK
    Hi All
    Thanks for the reply. I've seen good reviews on the DR Low Riders. I like SS strings but my D/G strings don't seem to have the same bass output as the E/A.
    This is not a volume thing!! It's as if I need to find a way to turn down the treble on the D/G. I tent to play across all 4 strings as apposed to sliding up the neck.
    How about a heaver D/G string, 50/105. Would this help??

Paul

5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    i love DR high beams.