Strings for Very Heavy Drop Tuning

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassic Playing, May 2, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

I recently joined a deathmetal/deathcore band, and having to experience in tuning to anything more than drop D or half steps down, I need some advice on what strings I should be using to stop me having a terrible rattly tone when I downtune.

The band plays bands such as A Day to Remember, Motionless in White and Trivium, so the tunings are things like B F# B E.

Thanks

2. e41k

e41k

Jan 7, 2012
    Maarssen
    From what I've seen around here some suggest to buy a 5-string set and throw away the high G, that way you get more tension and will get less 'rattle'. Don't know if it actually works though, haven't tried it myself :)

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Nooooooooooo. Do not listen to this. The F#BE strings will be ridiculously over tensioned. You probably want something in gauges like 130 90 70 50 or around there. Grab a 5 string set and chuck the E string.

4. e41k

e41k

Jan 7, 2012
    Maarssen
    Oh my bad, good thing I haven't tried that myself :) luckily I know now, Sorry OP and thanks Tyler!

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  6. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    We normally play in drop C (CGCF) and are now doing some stuff in drop B (BF#BE) as are you.
    Standard strings for the most part suck for downtuning. The "tuning up" method feels fake and artificial and I hate it.

I use Circle K's, as do most other down/alternate tuning guys here. Why? They're the best. :bassist:

vStandard Drop-tuned 4 Strings

Try the .130 set. You'll need a setup and probably to widen the nut for your E string, but once you get it locked in, you'll see the difference. :cool: I use the .124 set + a .158 low B for my ACGCF tuning.
    Nothing on the market gets even close.

7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
  8. Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into all your suggestions.

9. jordy_on_bass

jordy_on_bass

Jul 6, 2010
    Australia
    Anybody used DR's DDT range yet? Tuning in BF#BE as well and having some string trouble. Circle K's aren't available here and I can't exactly ship over a bulk amount at the moment!!

10. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I tried the .135 set when they first came out in 2010. I hated them. Changed them after 1 show. What strings are you using now? I hate, hate tuning "up" but compared to the DDT's, I'd do the "buy a 5 string set and lose the low E and tune ADG strings up to pitch" option if you're running drop B. Just get a light 5 string set.

11. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    First you need to know what range of tunings you will be switching between (try to minimise this range), then make sure each string stays within 30-50 pounds tension (extra-light to heavy) in all tunings. A larger range of retuning will result in more problems with action and setup shifting and tuning drift for a few hours after retuning.

12. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Inactive

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    + 0.5
    Try the LaBella Hard Rockin' Steel M70 set; they're custom for drop-tuning. They worked great for me when I tuned down to D on my 4-string.
    What worked even better is the 5-string I acquired. :D

13. DR DDT for drop tuning

14. TechDeath

TechDeath

May 16, 2012
    Lol metalcore

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021