Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strings popping

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Guest42, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Guest42

Guest42

Oct 17, 2004
    Sorry to post this, as I'm sure this problem has been addressed here many times (though I wasn't sure what to search for) but the second from top string doesn't stay in the nut, and I've never really encountered the problem, so I'm not quite sure what to do. The slightest vibration will cause the string to pop out. The strings are brand new. The bass is an Aria Pro II, if that means anything. Thanks for your time.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The nut is slotted to fit the strings the bass came with. You must have installed a much larger string gauge. There's no such thing as an adustable nut, at least I've never seen one. Even so, typically the string will just ride higher in the slot than other wise and it's not an issue aside from being improper. You can file the nut slot wider - then you'll have slop for smaller gauges. Do a search in the luthiers forum for nuts if you want details on slotting nuts. Nuts blanks are cheap and fairly easy to replace.

3. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    maybe you cut the string too short so there isnt enough round around the peg to get the string at a low enough angle to stay in the nut. at least thats what happened with my once. try getting a new A string but dont cut it as short.

4. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    actually they do make addjustable nuts. There are on warwicks and a lot of teh higher end basses. I'm sure you can find one on Ebay that will fit an Aria. If not, ask around in the forum (probibly hte lutheir's forum will give you te best answers). That'll be you best bet for fixing the problem. Or what you can do is add a "lock" to hold the string down. Look at some fender p-basses to see what I'm talking about. It holds the highest strings in place because they end so far away from teh nut.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Probably more of a Setup issue. Moved.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Interesting. Will have to check one out. I can't imagine how one would even be configured. I only use TI Flats so it's not an issue for me but for someone that varies strings or likes to experiment that would be something worth looking into. Otherwise you ideally would need a nut tailored to various string gauges. Not expensive but time consuming.