Strings too low

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Cort45, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    I recently purchased an old cezch bass and I had a luthier take down the bridge some but now it is too low. It has adjusters but i dont know which way to turn them + it is very difficult to, do I need to loosen the strings? thanks
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Yes, you need to loosen the strings a bit. I lay mine on the bed to avoid soundpost mishaps or worse (i.e. dropping the bass) The adjusters may be pretty set in their ways if they haven't been used for awhile. I've wrapped a small cloth around the wheel to save my precious hand flesh. Just take your time and don't crank either wheel too much at one time.

BTW, Ahhhnold suggests "exercising" the wheels by giving them a turn back and forth once in awhile. Otherwise, they tend to start thinking they're a solid bridge, and it's hard to get 'em going again.
  3. Don't days some luthiers thread the adjusters into the bridge feet....others thread into the upper part of the bridge LEGS! This, of course, determines which way you turn the rollers!!
    As Marcus suggests, move the adjusters around a little can use a pair of channel lock pliers buffered by a thick cloth or better, a soft piece of leather...I use my car chamois (is that how you spell that?) to pop loose stubborn adjusters.
    By the way, you shouldn't need to loosen the strings too much. It's nice to have another person with you to put some downward weight on the top by the sound post, so it doesnt fall. I used a big dictionary laid on that area the other day just to keep some pressure on. Once the adjusters get loosened up, you shouldn't need to take hardly any pressure off the bridge to adjust. I can do it without even touching a machine on my Bohmann.