Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stripped screws

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frugle, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I bought my MIM jazz second hand... and well.. the first owner took great care of it except one thing....

all of the screws on the forward pickup are stripped.... they won't move in or out.

the bridge pickup is sort of stripped.. I think I could get it out. .but the forward one is completely stripped.

what do I do?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Holy cow... someone went insane with a screwdriver! What to do? Try getting larger screwdrivers to fit and turn without slipping. If that doesn't work, try using pliers on it to turn it. If they're stripped though, it sounds like they'll be tight, and hard to turn. Good luck,

-Ray

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Oh, I read that as the screwheads were stripped... my mistake. Just yank 'em and do the toothpick thing.

-Ray

4. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    your right, sorry to confuse you, the screw HEADS are stripped.. the pickups won't come out. and the only reason I'm concern is that the forward pickup is at a weird angle being really far away from the strings on the EA side, and really close on the DG side.

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Cut a slot in them with a hacksaw blade, then use a large flat screwdriver.