Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strumming

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by prof_nutbutter, Nov 2, 2004.

1. prof_nutbutter

prof_nutbutter

Jan 6, 2004
    Germany
    hey i got a question for you out there. i've seen on some mudvayne, incubus and also level 42 live videos that their bassists strum the strings with their fingers, are there actually some lessons to improve this thing, coz i'd think it'll be quite useful. help meeeeeeee!!!!!

2. how do you mean strumming? flamenco style ala les claypool?

if thats what you mean, its really quite simple, start your hand in a "fist" shape, dont put to much pressure, then just flick you hand out of the strings...i try to not put too much finger onto the strings, but you can also strum backwards just put your hand back into the fist shape and hit the strings on your way up.....the way i learnt to do this was just playing some primus songs, too many puppies is a good one....really i dont think theres really an exercise to practise this but just try playing some chords on different string in different places around the neck........just hitting different strings learning where the technique works best....if this isnt what you were after..sorry bout the rant ;) ...but if it is and you'd like to know more id be happy to help, i could put up some examples if youd like as well

heath

3. prof_nutbutter

prof_nutbutter

Jan 6, 2004
    Germany
    thank you very much dude!!!!
    but if u cud give me some examples it wud be ace! i really wanna learn that flamenco technique, or u got some videos or links??
    thx for help

4. i dont know of any video's or anything like that, i think stuart hamm goes over it breifly in his seccond video (i only have the first one) but ill just setup some chords and riff's for you to mess around with on here later, ill try and take a few pics as well

cheers
    heath