Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stu hamm - My new favourite!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Suckbird, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    So i watched a video with stu hamm and satriani, he played a bass solo into country music(a night in hell) An WOW!!
    He's just amazing! I'm new to both tapping and slapping but he seem to master it!
    He's fun to watch and his sound is really great!

I hear that guys like yngwie malmsteen:)spit:) practiced from early morning to late night so how much do you think these guys practice? Or is it just in the blood?

Anyway, Stu hamm got a new - fan :D

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    They probably practice 8 hours a day, well, not anymore maybe, but such skill is defenitely a combination of talent and lots and lots of practice!

Yeah, Stu Hamm is great, too bad about his shirts though :D

3. Um...why do you spit on Malm? You might not like his music but his talent as a guitarist is undeniable. If you hate him, you just might be a blink 182 fan:D

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I like Hamm's playing, but always thought his tone sounded like butt . . . .

And his choice of dress is . . . well . . . I'd be suprised if he hasn't lost a few calls for gigs because of it . . .

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    It was meant to be a licky smiley...
    and i dont like his music, he has a great talent but almost too much speed.. i've also heard that he talks bad about bassist etc, this might just be bull**** but, yeah yeah.. and i dont like blink 182..
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Actually i payed attention to his shirt too, not too nice :D

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He's fun to listen to and certainly a good guy to learn the ins and outs of "Musician's Institute"-style chops wankery. He also has a great internal metronome.

I think I've outgrown his music, but he was one of my early inspirations.

7. Stu is one of my favorite bassists; his compositions are creative and fun. Far from a proveyer of wankery, as far as I'm concerned.

Enjoy his stuff!

8. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    +1 for Stu. My bass instructor showed me one of his earlier videos a while back and it really got me thinking about what the bass can do. It also sparked my interest in the Kubicki Ex-Factor, and here I am a few years later with one in my lap as I type this. To me, that will always be Stu's bass. That's really weird... I didn't realize how much of an influence he has been on me until right now. Cool.

9. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    He's an awesome player, I took a lesson from him once, mostly just to meet him.

Saw him play his solo stuff at a small venue a few weeks later too.

10. i like stuart hamn too much ... do u hear his moonligh sonato ???????????
    moonligh sonato is orginaly by beethoven , but he playin it on bass !!! ,, look better to hear that !!! lol
    do u guys know billy sheehan ???? he s my godness ...

11. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Get his Outbound album.
    Great compositions!
    Just a great blend of stuff.

12. Today we watched G3 Live and Stu Hamm was just amazing with Satriani. Those 2 kick ass together. Totally groovin like mad! He blew the other 2 bassists away.