Stu hamm - same riff over and over again?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Suckbird, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    It might just be no break but i listened to a live version of quahog anyone and he played riff both from sexually active and country music, does he just love those riffs so much that he wants to play 'em in alot of songs or what? I see that his solo with satriani is riffs from his other songs too.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    We all have our favorite riffs and styles that pop up from time to time. Is it similar, or exact?
  3. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I am assuming you are referring to the fact that Stu played the "Country Music" solo (again) on the Satriani Live album/DVD. Stu has LOTS of other material. I am lucky enough to live in the San Fransisco area and also extremely lucky to be an aquaintance of Stu's and see him live often. By often, over the past few years I can think of:

G3 tour with Satriani
    Live in San Fransisco w/Satriani
    winter NAMM 2003 (which included the only live show ever from GHS)
    winter NAMM 2004 (his solo band)
    2 solo band gigs in San Fransisco (one last year that may become a live album!!! :cool: )
    solo appearance at Bassquake 2004 in San Jose
    3 bass clinics for Peavey both at NAMM and in the Bay area.

For anyone that has seen Stu in the past couple of years, he had re-worked his arrangement of Beethovens "Moonlight Sonata" into something he likes to call "Abbey Sonata" - which is "Moonlight Sonata" intertwined with the 2nd side of the Beatles "Abbey Road" album ("You Never Give Me Your Money", etc.). Stu had planned on playing THIS arrangement as his solo on the Satriani DVD, but they (he and Joe) decided against it for reasons that I won't go into (trust me, it had nothing to do with the music, which was incredible).

Hard to imagine a Stu solo without either "Linus & Lucy" or "Country Music" (or both like in "quahogs") though. Its kind of expected. Do you think that 20 years from now Victor Wooten will be able to get through a show without the audience expecting to hear either "Amazing Grace" or "Norweigian Wood"?
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was fortunate enough to hang out with Stu a bit at Teatro Zinzanni, where he's the house bassist in SF. He's a great guy, great chops, and boy could he play! I talked to him a bit, and yes, they're some of his favorites.

But then you have to remember, even Shakespeare used some of his favorite lines in multiple plays.