Stuart Hamm

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jun 21, 2004.

1. as if he aint just finished watchin joe satriani live in san fran, and well, i never get sick of playing that bass anyone agree, disagree, is indicisive? thoughts, opinions, lay em on me....

im in such a good mood, after watchin jimi plays monterey and satch in san fran, all i need to do now is get my george benson dvd back..arrg
  2. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    The only Satch album I have is 'Strange Beautiful Music'.I don't think he plays on that,does he?The guy who does is good though.
  3. nah thats matt bissonette, he's pretty good...he was satch's first bassist..i think..but stu is by far the best...check out vai's passion and warfare for some sweet stu action
  4. i saw his san fran solo as well...he is just amazing. i wish i could see him play live, but isn't he playing with some circus now? i thought i read about that in a bp..

he's still awesome!

5. As far as i knew he was still playing with GHS, but the san fran solo is a mild compared to some of the stuff on his kings of sleep album, he's a freak slapper and tapper, but good :smug:
  6. Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    I met Stu a few years ago a local music store where he was holding a bass clinic he was touring with satch at the time and had the evening off

He's a top player he's really down to earth with Zero ego after the clinic he hung around talking with ppl and signing cd's he was really greatfull when i took all 3 of his(only 3 where released at that time)solo cd's out and asked him to sign them even thanking my for supporting his music

Id recomend Kings of sleep as a very good starting piont for his solo work but his first album Radio Free Albemuth from 1988
    has some killer tunes you gotta hear Country Music (A Night in Hell) its a scream ;)

if you want all out fusion shred check out his work with frank gambale and steve smith very cool
  7. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You might wanna think about adding 'Steve Vai - Live at the Astoria' to that list. The opener, 'Shy Boy' with Steve and Billy duelling is mind boggling.
  8. Havent got that yet...but i wont need the dvd, im seeing Vai On the 26th, abd he's got billy with him, and ive also applied for a backstage pass on vai's site :smug:
  9. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I really like Stu, listen to crystal planet and passion and warfare. some really nice bass playing on that. G3 in 4 days yeeeahhh. No stu though, matt is playing, he's good too not as good though. Billy sheehan should be good though.
    p.s aftershow passes on vai site were drawn ages ago.
  10. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I was at that show. Needless to say I was very impressed then and I'm still impressed when I watch the dvd.
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, that's almost exactly the dlr version of the tune, practically note for note.
  12. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois

Stu jams, matt too. But if you haven't seen Billy Sheehan live recently, you need to. I saw him not too long ago and my eyebrows went way up. I mean, I knew he was good, but wow. Still had his long hair too. Long live the eighties!!!!
  13. actually....ive heard that billy aint that good, coming from a bassist i know who went to a seminar down here, he actually left early based on the fact that billy cant groove, but i wouldnt know, havent seen billy play, ive only heard 1 or 2 mr big songs, fiendish you lucky %@#$^#(&*# lol...i actually got kings of sleep, took 6 months to get here from canada but it was worth it, i love playing black ice and surely the best not to mention count zero....having a kubicki i cant imagine playing black ice on a normal 4 or a 5, just be to wierd
  14. jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    Billy Sheehan is a monster player. He has great chops and grooves. You need to listen to him before making that comment. His right hand is amazing.
  15. i wasnt making the comment, i was repeating what i was told from someone who went to his seminar
  16. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Sheehan has some of the fastest hands I've evr seen/heard. Only person I've ever seen/heard in the same league was John from Dream Theater.

Find any footage you can of his Talas or early Mr. Big gig's where he did the solo stuff...serious grind and seriously fast chops.
  17. a friend downloaded me a part of his instructional video......well, personally IMO his tapping stuff really isnt appropriate for songs, really only for solo's.....but the whole thing i was told is that he cant groove like when i see vai and if he plays For the Love Of God and The Boy From Seatlle and sheehan tries to show off im gonna be quite unhappy...i liked phillip bynoe, he was cool......but i really think stu's tapping is more tasteful, country music :smug:
  18. Both Stu and Billy are amazing bassist. I've had a chance to see both live and I have their respective videos and those DVD you guys are mentioning.
    stu has really takin piano style tapping on the bass to a new level. His stuff is way difficult to play and he pulls it off w/ ease. Stu's got that independent lft & rt hand thing happenin and most of his solo material translates well into songs.
    Billy is a shedder. Hes got that 3 finger right hand technique that allows him to play anything. The guy can groove as well, the walkin line from colorado bulldog is a great example. But he doesn't seem to wanna slap. So what. If you watch the live in Astoira he actually slaps and its simple octave stuff that stu intially did on Vai's album. But heck, Billy got that one finger tappin technqie very similar to wootens, thumbs, hammer pop technquie. billy does it, tap, hammer hammer tap. sounds similar, looks different. Anyway these guys are both amazing to see live. Billys a great rock-n-rollbassist, and Stu seems more diverse musically, but heck you can't knock either.
    The shy boy opener in Astoria DVD is almost note-for-note from the talas album and if you had a chance to see David Lee roth when Vai and sheehan were his band, you would have seem this stuff live.
    Cool stuff
  19. being 18 and in australia it would be difficult to see dlr, but im countin down the days to see vai and billy.....but i really like stu's tapping technique, and owning a kubicki (one of stu's) helps you understand why he used that bass for a while for tapping and slapping...but i really like stu's country music, kings of sleep, his solo from the satriani san fran dvd, and the first g3 dvd....i wouldnt mind getting an urge 1, im a big fan of 32"scale now...not to mention the kubicki preamp...........thats what i like about the vai/satch albums, show off guitar with simple bass lines, the best example of this is Vais For The Love Of God, its one of the most simple yet effective and my favourite bass lines ive ever heard
  20. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    I just got back from g3, wasn't the best gig ever, vai on it's own though was worth paying for, Billy was incredible, just great. That's all