1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Student pickup question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by theworldismad, May 19, 2012.

1. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    This is kind of a lengthy question.

I am graduating from High School soon, which means I can no longer rent double bass gear from my school. I need to get a pickup ASAP because I play in a jazz trio outside of school (where I used a rented yamaha silent bass) and need some type of pickup for the acoustic bass I recently purchased. The bass I recently purchased is a used Knilling Bucharest 1302t MIR, and the amp I own is an Ampeg Pf-350.

There are so many pickup options that I am unsure of what to look for. The pickup my school jazz director bought for my school's acoustic bass was a Fishman sb100 (along with a B2 preamp), and I did not like the tone or the method of mounting on that unit. The sb-100 was my teacher's recommendation, but I am looking for second opinions based off of personal preference. What I am looking for is a pickup that would offer good jazz pizz tone and would also mount more dependably on my instrument. A built-in preamp would be a huge plus. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. If you can accept a bit darker tone and putting something under the bridge foot I would try the Shadow SH-965NFX. It has a built-in piezo buffer and two sensors (one for each bridge foot, but you can use only one if you want and have a spare sensor foil).
    Also works nice with bowing. Somewhat similar to the Realist but with a piezo buffer and without marking the top. The bridge foot might slip a bit before the strings are tuned up to pitch and the bridge might be raised about 2/3 of a millimeter. Not bad for the price. There is some reverb-like sound coming from the sound reflections of the top, so not a direct or aggressive sound.

I would have been happy if I had such a pickup during my school days.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Personally I recommend the BassMax to my students as a first pick up. It is inexpensive and very no-nonsense. It's not great for arco but it can be done. I have one on my bass that I use for bigger rock type shows.

4. I had good luck and good sound on my Knilling using a Fishman Full Circle with a Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum preamp. Maybe more than you want to spend, but how much is good tone worth?

I had also tried an Underwood and a Gage Realist. The Underwood was just okay. The Gage turned the bass into a howling feedback machine. I don't intend to disparage Gage Realist - I have heard them sound fantastic on other basses. The point is, pickups may perform differently on different basses.

LeNi

5. theworldismad

theworldismad

Oct 11, 2009
    I was very fortunate to be able to use the fishman pickup at school, but now that I no longer have access to that resource I am assessing what I did not like about that pickup in the purchase of my own.

Marc Piane, is a shim needed to fit the Bassmax?

Inichols, what kind of strings did you use with your knilling setup?

6. On the Knilling I used Thomastic Spirocore and at some point switched to D'Addario Heliocore, because they bowed easier. Both sounded good with the Fishman Full Circle pickups w/ Fishman preamp.

lnichols