1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Study Book for Bass

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by UprightBassist, Mar 15, 2013.

1. UprightBassist

UprightBassist

Nov 2, 2010
    I have been playing in my school Orchestra, and I want a study book to help me with upper positions in particular but also just for practicing by myself. I'm up for any suggestions, thanks.

2. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

May 10, 2012
    London, Ontario
    George Vance's book has some great exercises. So does Simandl's first book. Those are the two big ones out there. There's many more than that though.

3. UprightBassist

UprightBassist

Nov 2, 2010
    Are you referring to one of Vance's Progressive Repertoire's or or the Vade Mecum?

4. Ryker_M

Ryker_M

May 10, 2012
    London, Ontario
    The former. I haven't seen the Vade Mecum ever, so I can't comment on it.

5. Tom Gale

Tom Gale

May 16, 2009
    Look at my "Melodic Foundation Studies". If its a little too advanced, check out my "Practical Studies". One of them will fill the bill.
    Tom Gale
    Asodb.org or check Lemur - att. Toni.

6. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Chicago
    F. Simandl's "New Method for Double Bass"...I've found this to be extremely helpful. If you've been playing in orchestra though, it may be too basic for you.

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Highly recommended.

8. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    My high school teacher started me out with the Vade Mecum- it's good stuff. A great way to get into the upper positions with good fingering patterns that don't confuse a beginner. (Being one when I used it.)