Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

studying with a cello teacher

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Peter_00, Jul 26, 2004.

1. I've taken up studying with a cello teacher after toughing it out on my own for the past year and a half. (Shes's the only person that is close to a bass teacher within about 200km) She is a brilliant cellist and I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me/us? At the moment I am working on the grand march for aida and amazing grace for my exam, and am getting very frustrated technically. I know how the music should sound, but its really difficult for me to feel like I have 'mastered' anything. Some days I can play well and others it's like everything is impossible. Any advice?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Stick with it. You've discovered the 'joy of music' :)

3. It's definately normal to have days where you feel like you can't play; heck I've had months like that. I find the biggest key is continual inspiration; get out there and hear as much live music as possible, talk to other musicians, listen to records... whatever it takes. And as faras studying with a cello teacher goes, I wouldn't really reccomend it unless you had a solid background in tradition bass technique. I think bass players in general can learn a lot fro cellists, but without a solid foundation you're setting yourself up to learn some very bad habbits that will be difficult to break down the road, which is where they will start to limit you. I say this from personal experience, having played cello for some number of years before picking up the bass and also being somewhat self taught as far as bass technique goes. So anyway, I guess if that's your only option it's better than nothing, but do what you can to get with a good bass teacher soon. Even if it's just once a month or something, if you have to drive to the next city or whatever. Good luck...

4. thanks for the advice. I'm going to try and find a bass teacher to go to for at least once a month. Are there any bad habits in particular you can think of? I have an ok understanding of hand-position and where the positions are on the neck (1/2,1st,3rd etc.) from play electric bass for a few years. Im 17 now and I feel that I've left to late to make a go of it.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    17 is when I started. Joe Pass was 19 and Ray Drummond was in his late 20's if I recall right.

6. matt macgown

matt macgown Guest

Dec 1, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    About the only difficulty I had from a cellist (double on bass) was that they don't swing their arm quite the way bass players do when bowing, and tend to work more from the elbow, yet still with the arm also. If you are a sit-down bass player you may not notice the diff. It's noticeable if you do stand up stuff. Not a real problem, though. Watch out - you might learn to use four fingers of the left hand. And thumb half way up the fingerboard. Ha?

7. Thank you for all the advice. Today's been a bit better, one of my problems is that I always tried to practice really really slow (not that is I bad thing, I think) but ONLY slow. I've tried to push out of my comfort level but not too much and it's helped a bit. Thanks again.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Born in '65
    Started playing at 17
    It's now 7/28/04

2004 - 1965 = 39
    1965 + 17 = 1982
    39 - 17 = 22

That makes 22 years on the fiddle, if my figgers are right.

9. The four finger thing is definately a cool technique, if you happen to have the proper anatomy for it. I'm fortunate enough to be able to use my third finger all over the place, and it drives other bass players nuts... I've also had teachers who wanted to slap me for doing it out of habbit, because apparently there's something in the bible that says 'thou shalt not use thy third finger' or something...

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Are you saying that these folks are your contemporaries ? I had the notion that you were around my age - mid/late 30's.

EDIT: and a look at the old " Grey Marker" Profile confirms my notion.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    No, no, no....those are the respective ages when Pass and Drummond started.

Ray Parker is 13, and he doesn't play bass, he's just been making this s*** up all along. He builds skateboards.