1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stupid question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Emanuel Apascaritei, Jul 16, 2012.

1. A friend of mine gave me some schaller strap locks. I mounted them on my MIA '09 Jazz.

Are strap locks devaluate the instrument?

Thank you!

2. lewyyy

lewyyy

Jun 6, 2009
    Durham, UK
    No, they shouldn't devaluate the bass at all, they can easily be swapped to the original stock buttons if you ever want to sell it

3. Not to mention they help retain value by keeping your bass strapped to you instead of falling to the ground.

4. lewyyy

lewyyy

Jun 6, 2009
    Durham, UK
    +1

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    +1 to both

6. Aren't Schaller's standard on MIA jazzes? My AmDlx P came stock with them. Is this a Highway 1 or American Special? Either way, I agree with everyone above. I don't think adding straplocks devalues your instrument unless you've had to add toothpicks and wood glue to the hole to mount the screws or something.

7. mine is the American Standard and came from the factory with normal strap holds.

I used the bass own screws to mount the strap locks.

8. Schallers are included with American Deluxe basses.

9. this

10. Gotcha. Word of advice about the Schallers if you are unfamiliar with them: use a tiny bit of loc-tite on the nuts that attach the locks to the strap. They have a habit of working loose over time.

11. Good advise, they will come loose.

12. I have decided to go back to the washers, I really have a issue with myself. I like this bass as stock as it is. Love the tone and the feel and I feel like I screw it....

I´ll keep the schallers for another bass as for my G&L L2500 are not a direct fit

13. Skygonzo

Skygonzo

Jul 8, 2012
    i strap lock everything. i'll put a set on my mom if she'll let me. LOL

14. When in doubt, just keep the originals in the case. The way they're mass produced, it's somewhat doubtful that they'll be all that valuable in the future unless basses are no longer made of wood or something.

15. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    In general, changing strap buttons does not devalue an instrument, unless it is a mint pre-1960 instrument that is "all original." On some, say vintage Danelectros, the strap buttons were one piece machined aluminum, so they need to stay around if you intend to resell. But if an instrument comes with a standard strap button, changind to a Dunlop dual or even a Schaller shouldn't effect value at all.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Keep the original buttons somewhere safe, just in case you do sell, plus maybe you want the strap locks back.

Strap locks are a plus for everybody, so you won't lose money adding them, UNLESS you lose the locking pieces, then you will lose a couple bucks, nothing noticeable.

17. Make sure you NEVER change the strings or turn the truss rod adjuster. Those are just as bad as putting on Schaller locks.

And never plug this bass into anything but a Fender amp using a Fender instrument cable or you will lose a guaranteed 99% of the value of the thing - and it will sound like crap too!!!!!

Don't even thing of turning the knobs on the tuning machines and changing the factory tuning, good god man that would shift the balance of the universe!!

I shudder to thing what would happen it you touched the tone knob...

18. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
    my last guitar was used and the owner forgot to take off the schaller strap locks. That was a bonus for me.

19. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Darn it Carl , now my sarcasm meter is broken.

20. ok ok you got me convinced....jeeez